Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adguru
    • Jul 2004

Are they violating the License?

http://www.sciforums.com/ At the bottom there is a link to http://www.sciforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72.

Say you run a site and link to its specific forum from the Front Page. Is it acceptable????
    =)
  • TheMusicMan
    • Oct 2002
    • 3.7.x

Why do you think this isn't acceptable...?
    John

Comment

• adguru
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
      Why do you think this isn't acceptable...?

vBulletin License

vBulletin licence grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each licence purchased. Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate licence is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.

License Explaination :

Your forum is accessable from multiple domains and your forums are configured to show/hide certain forums based on the domain. This is not OK and requires an active vBulletin license for each domain. In this situation the forums appear to have separate content thereby making them separate forums in the eyes of the license agreement. Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum.
      Last edited by adguru; Sun 10 Oct '04, 4:43am.
      =)

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• TheMusicMan
          • Oct 2002
          • 3.7.x

OK I understand that thanks, but all that I see there is access to a hidden forum. Is it the fact that this is not accesssible from the forumhome that makes this not allowed then?
          Last edited by TheMusicMan; Sun 10 Oct '04, 1:28am.
          John

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Isn't that link just a link to one of the categories?
            I see one forum and not two.

Comment

• AlexanderT
              • Mar 2003

It almost feels like being with Stasi members here. Why is it that vB users are always so eager to pinpoint and discredit others who MIGHT have violated Jelsoft's license? Why do you even care? If someone should care, it is Jelsoft, and not you. And if you have a concrete question regarding licensing, why don't you ask Jelsoft directly instead?

Comment

• adguru
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                It almost feels like being with Stasi members here. Why is it that vB users are always so eager to pinpoint and discredit others who MIGHT have violated Jelsoft's license? Why do you even care? If someone should care, it is Jelsoft, and not you. And if you have a concrete question regarding licensing, why don't you ask Jelsoft directly instead?
                I don't like to support activities which are Illegal! :P and, I am just trying to confirm that if tommorow I try some deed like this, I should not be violating jelsoft's agreememnt with me

Originally posted by Floris
                Isn't that link just a link to one of the categories?
                I see one forum and not two.
                Yup. it's a link to category but to discuss something which is a separate site / product.
                =)

Comment

• Andy Huang
                  • Feb 2004

There are two domains involved;
                  Sciforums.com and Xlife.org

Two different websites, running one discussion forum.

I think this is perfectly fine as A) there is only One instance of the installation, B) there is no attempt to disguise the forums so that it looks like two instances, and C) there is no two databases.

However, the final say is up to Jelsoft... I think its perfectly fine tho...
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

• _| () R | Z
                    • Oct 2002

there is a simulair discussion here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116502

but as i said there, the licence agreement isnt clear about this point. and that post made by jake is not the licence agreement.
                    Originally Posted by Zachery
                    John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                    We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• adguru
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by _| () R | Z
                      there is a simulair discussion here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116502

but as i said there, the licence agreement isnt clear about this point. and that post made by jake is not the licence agreement.
                      eeks. Yeah! I forgot to seprately quote that paragraph

Will do it now!
                      =)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...