This is against the rules, right?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

subdomain = still a domain therefore would follow the example setforth by Jake.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• _| () R | Z
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Andrew111888
      Looks like I'll be closing my current board then.
      why? It IS legal to do it the way you said in the first post
      Originally Posted by Zachery
      John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
      We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• MJM
        • Dec 2001

Perhaps for this reason?

3. Your forum is accessable from multiple domains and your forums are configured to show/hide certain forums based on the domain. This is not OK and requires an active vBulletin license for each domain.
        In this situation the forums appear to have separate content thereby making them separate forums in the eyes of the license agreement. Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum.
        Mark

Comment

• _| () R | Z
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by MJM
          Perhaps for this reason?

3. Your forum is accessable from multiple domains and your forums are configured to show/hide certain forums based on the domain. This is not OK and requires an active vBulletin license for each domain.
          In this situation the forums appear to have separate content thereby making them separate forums in the eyes of the license agreement. Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum.
          yes very nice that jake posted that. but that isnt stated in the licence agreement.....
          John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

As its still one forum (and can be viewed as such) I think this is allowed.
            It's like a shortcut to the forumdisplay.php
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Andrew111888
              • Mar 2003

"Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum."

The domains have seperate content.

Comment

• _| () R | Z
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                "Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum."

The domains have seperate content.
                From licence agreement: By installing and using vBulletin on your server, you agree to the following terms and conditions. Such agreement is either on your own behalf or on behalf of any corporate entity which employs you or which you represent ('Corporate Licensee'). In this Agreement, 'you' includes both the reader and any Corporate Licensee and 'Jelsoft' means Jelsoft Enterprises Limited:
                YOU made an agreement with jelsoft when you bought/installed the software and the line that you just quoted ISNT in the agreement.

what IS in the agreement that you made is:

Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited.
                and as long as you dont brake that rule then nobody can do anything about it.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

The templates fall under the database?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by trekwarfare
                    Would using sub domain addresses also fall under this?

I was thinking of having seperate sub domains point to certain ships or section of my RPG forum.

Example:

ship1.site.com
                    ship2.site.com

the styles would be the same (unless of course the user has selected something different from the default one) and the entire board would still be accessible by the normal navigation in the navbar.

Thanks for your time!!
                    I am inclined to say that's OK, but I can see how this might violate the "one instance" requirement. I suppose it depends on your implementation.

I will ask the others about this.

Comment

• James Kojiro
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 3.6.x

This makes me ask a question...
                      KyleTech has many different sister sites - Pokemon~Things Not Seen, Team Rocket Banner Exchange, and The WC Connection. Now, they all link to a different style on kForums:
                      WC: http://forums.kyletech.us/index.php?styleid=2
                      TRBE: http://forums.kyletech.us/index.php?styleid=3
                      PTNS: http://forums.kyletech.us/index.php?styleid=4

Now, the styles have the same content, just different styles to complement the sister site's layout. So basically, is this legal?

Oh, and all the links say kForums

HTML Code:
                      <a href="http://forums.kyletech.us">kForums</a>

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

Each of those links looks exactly the same to me. No style differences at all. However if the content is exactly the same then this is fine.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Bema Jinn
                          • Mar 2003

If people are unsure, maybe you could have an option in the members area where you could summon one of the vB team just to give it the once over, just to put peoples mind at ease.

Comment

• James Kojiro
                            • Jun 2004
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            Each of those links looks exactly the same to me. No style differences at all. However if the content is exactly the same then this is fine.
                            Steve, I was just using that as an example. Those are not real styles. I would however ask this because I don't want papers served to me.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              Former Customer Support Manager
                              • Jul 2000

If the content is the same, then this is fine.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• James Kojiro
                                • Jun 2004
                                • 3.6.x

Thanks for clearing that up steve, you have really taken a lot of pressure of the ol noggin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...