X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merjawy
    • Sep 2002

Site's Char. code ISO-8859-1

Hello

I was just wonding about your seite/forum settings for language, I understand the site is in English and that would normaly be set to ISO-8859 . why not use something else like UTF8 or even better windows-1256 to support some other languages, at the same time it won't effect the English display !!!!

reason for that is when someone posts in Arabic for example or reads license info on the site it doesn't show unless you force encoding

I wouldn't suggest this if it will effect the display of English but it souldn't/doesn't

just a thought no biggie

thnx
    To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
    My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
    CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
    Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

• Merjawy
    • Sep 2002

????
    To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
    My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
    CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
    Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

• Lumina
      • Sep 2002
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Merjawy
      why not use something else like UTF8 or even better windows-1256 to support some other languages
      Absolutly all browsers I know, from Internet Explorer to Mozilla, consider ISO-8859-1 as Windows-1256. So you don't need to specify Windows-1256 : it is the default behaviour everywhere.

Moving to UTF-8 would be a good change, but it requires a database conversion, and it is extremely difficult to be done (for example, many passwords would need to be reset).
      Lumina, aventurière des mondes fantastiques et petite rédactrice au grand cœur
      Cœur Lumière - vBulletin-fr
      Join the vBulletin French community social group!

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Dec 2000

need to wait until MySQL 4.1 is stable as well to support the column types properly with searching.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment