Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaFonz
    • Dec 2001

Members area has poor usability

Ok, while vbulletin is great, I have a couple of rants about the members area.

Stuff is impossible to find! To figure out how to download vbulletin, I had to look in the helpfiles. I click on "download vbulletin" and presumable, one would expect a link to the files... or some sort of instructions.

Instead, one has to click on "edit site" and go through that just to download the files.

Going back to stuff being impossible to find - could someone please tell me where to get the image templates? I must be blind b/c I can't find it anywhere in the users area. Edit: I found it. *sigh*. I *really* hate the members area.

Somewhat related, but I just renewed a license - curious as to why you guys don't have it update automatically so I have permission to download? I was under the impression that worldpay and paypal.com have built in fraud protection.

Also related to this, why can we not change our customer info by ourselves? Seems like it's adding more work to the support staff than needed.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DaFonz; Sat 17 Jul '04, 3:12pm.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by DaFonz
    Stuff is impossible to find! To figure out how to download vbulletin, I had to look in the helpfiles. I click on "download vbulletin" and presumable, one would expect a link to the files... or some sort of instructions.

Instead, one has to click on "edit site" and go through that just to download the files.
    Hmmm...I don't see this in my Members Area. I click on 'Download vBulletin' and it goes stright to the download page. No editing required. Do you have a screenshot?

Somewhat related, but I just renewed a license - curious as to why you guys don't have it update automatically so I have permission to download? I was under the impression that worldpay and paypal.com have built in fraud protection.
    Not sure what you mean. Once the purchase is approved and goes through, the license is automaticlly updated. There are occasional glitches though where we need to manually fix a license, but this is rare.

Also there is no meaningful fraud protection from either PayPal or WorldPay. We are being hit hard with credit card fraud in particular.

Also related to this, why can we not change our customer info by ourselves? Seems like it's adding more work to the support staff than needed.
    We had it that way. Yet there were too many customers who used this to transfer a license to someone else, then charge back the original purchase. This left both us and the person who was scammed as victoms. We decided that to protect all customers we needed to take back control of this process.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

IN regards to changing customer information ourselves, by allowing everything to be accessed webbased, what would happen if a hacker came in, broke into your account, and changed it to under his name. He then initalizes a ticket to change his username/password

Let's say after this happens, you walk in to the members area to download a new version of vBulletin... v3.1

You login only to realize your username/password doesn't work. Frantic, you email Jelsoft about this, only to find out that they are saying you aren't a customer..

You give them all your customer information, and they will tell u it doesn't match their system. After hours of paperwork dig up on Jelsoft part, they'll find it, but only to find out everything was compromised...and so, u have an identity theft issue on your hands now.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• DaFonz
        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Hmmm...I don't see this in my Members Area. I click on 'Download vBulletin' and it goes stright to the download page. No editing required. Do you have a screenshot?
        Sorry I wasn't clear, what I mean was, you have to click on "edit license" and then go through the process in order to download it.

Not sure what you mean. Once the purchase is approved and goes through, the license is automaticlly updated. There are occasional glitches though where we need to manually fix a license, but this is rare.

Also there is no meaningful fraud protection from either PayPal or WorldPay. We are being hit hard with credit card fraud in particular.
        Ah ok, completely understandable. Why don't you guys use something that has better fraud?

It sais to expect it to take up to 24 hours for license info to be updated.. any idea how long it usually takes?

We had it that way. Yet there were too many customers who used this to transfer a license to someone else, then charge back the original purchase. This left both us and the person who was scammed as victoms. We decided that to protect all customers we needed to take back control of this process.
        It's a shame that a few idiots spoil it for the rest.

Comment

• DaFonz
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          IN regards to changing customer information ourselves, by allowing everything to be accessed webbased, what would happen if a hacker came in, broke into your account, and changed it to under his name. He then initalizes a ticket to change his username/password

Let's say after this happens, you walk in to the members area to download a new version of vBulletin... v3.1

You login only to realize your username/password doesn't work. Frantic, you email Jelsoft about this, only to find out that they are saying you aren't a customer..

You give them all your customer information, and they will tell u it doesn't match their system. After hours of paperwork dig up on Jelsoft part, they'll find it, but only to find out everything was compromised...and so, u have an identity theft issue on your hands now.
          In a system like this, wouldn't it make sense to have some sort of versioning control built in?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I mean was, you have to click on "edit license" and then go through the process in order to download it.
            Once again I don't have to click on 'Edit Options'. I click on 'Download vBulletin' right under that. Do you have an active license?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

versioning control? I don't understand. Got to remember some people would do anything to get vBulletin licenses...and that includes breaking the law by committing identity theft and credit card fraud..
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• daemon
                • Jun 2003
                • 3.5.x

Steve, I think he may be referring to when you're a new customer and you haven't entered your license details and the URL of your forum. It takes you to the edit details page before you're allowed to download vB that first time. I think that's how it goes, I don't remember as it was a year ago since I did that; but I believe that's what happens and what this user is talking about.
                Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

I'd have to agree. The navigation and wording within the members area is somewhat confusing. It took me 2minutes to find the GFX kit when I first wanted it.

I mean what has the gfx kit got to do with 'Member Support'. It definately needs some rephrasing if you ask me
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Yea I would like to see a cleaner members area to, honestly all it really needs is a nice nav box with some rephrasing like dean mentioned

Comment

• Chroder
                      • Dec 2002

I agree too

Downloading is just about the only thing I can find in 5 secs

Comment

• DaFonz
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                        versioning control? I don't understand. Got to remember some people would do anything to get vBulletin licenses...and that includes breaking the law by committing identity theft and credit card fraud..
                        Well, you talked about identity theft... so knowing the history of an account would allow you to track it back to the original owner.

Originally posted by daemon
                        Steve, I think he may be referring to when you're a new customer and you haven't entered your license details and the URL of your forum. It takes you to the edit details page before you're allowed to download vB that first time. I think that's how it goes, I don't remember as it was a year ago since I did that; but I believe that's what happens and what this user is talking about.
                        Exactly! I had to crawl through the help pages to find that.. and well.. a website shouldn't need a help page!

BTW, it's been 24 hours and I still have no permission to download vbulletin? Our change requests have also not been carried out. Does it happen only on weekdays?

Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

BTW, it's been 24 hours and I still have no permission to download vbulletin? Our change requests have also not been carried out. Does it happen only on weekdays?
                          What do you mean exactly? What 'change request'? There are currently no unanswered tickets in the support system.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Admiral Spock
                            • Jun 2004

I have no problems downloading vBulletin. I can easily go into my members area, select Download vBulletin, look at the right section, 2.3.5 or 3.0.3, and choose my options, read and agree to the license agreement, and download. A 5 second process.

I would however like also to see a cleaner environment for the members area. Right now it's kind of confusing to get the graphics kit, and such.

Exactly! I had to crawl through the help pages to find that.. and well.. a website shouldn't need a help page!
                            When you first get vBulletin: the first time you log in to member area, it says "Edit License Details". Then you enter in URL and description of your site, and then it updates your customer info to reflect the changes you made. Then you can download vBulletin.

Comment

• mrfox1979
                              • Aug 2001

Well, you talked about identity theft... so knowing the history of an account would allow you to track it back to the original owner.

Thanks.
                              i have the same problem as defonz the site needs help bad downloading vb

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...