X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nectar2
    • Jul 2004

is vbb a free software

my classmater told me that there are many free bbs software on sourceforge.net, for example, phpbb, e-blah, yabb. But i knew vbb is a excellen bbs software, i wish that it is a free software, at least it is free for personal.
  • mholtum
    • May 2004
    • 3.5.x

uh, no.
    Home of the free, Because of the brave.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Nope, this is a professional and commercial forum software.

Comment

• nVaux
        • Jun 2004

There are various software out there, I think one of the ongoing battles today though is vb vs invision, however I have used invision, and vbulletin wins hand down, there is just nothing like vb.
        http://www.bitmonkeys.com - Visit us

- nVaux

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Every few months invision updates their TOS, its a one year trial only now fyi.

Comment

• Beather
            • Jul 2004

I like Vbulletin, but they shouldn't be ripping off everyone with 160 $ for one...
            Yeah, they did hard work, but so did phpbb...

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Beather
              I like Vbulletin, but they shouldn't be ripping off everyone with 160 $ for one...
              I'm sure you are just a bit upset because you can't purchase it right now.

vBulletin is a professional forum software package targetted lower then competition forum software vendors and we offer a discounted lease license to those who can't afford to take the plunge for $160.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

I wouldn't say they are ripping people off. The licence is extremely good value, especially when you compare it to the cost of things like Photoshop or MS Office.

phpbb is fine and well developed, but IMO doesn't offer as many features as vB. Having a vB forum also gives a site a massive credibility boost. The licence is almost worth that alone.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

I can't even begin to count how many times i've seen a post like this. If you think vBulletin is high in price check out some other companys for quotes. I remember when they first started selling vBulletin, compared to the ubb.classic license that I owned vBulletin was the best deal I had ever seen.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

I think uBB.x still runs 300 a year.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

One could goto big-boards.com and see that vBulletin is used over 50%

Comment

• Andrew111888
                        • Mar 2003

If you don't think vBulletin is worth $160, then go use phpBB. No one's stopping you .

By the way, am I the only one that noticed this person joined solely to post that?

Comment

• Admiral Spock
                          • Jun 2004

Jelsoft does NOT rip anyone off. For $85 or $160 you get access to the most professional BB software (my opinion), you get access to download the hundreds of hacks at vBulletin.org (I reckon phpBB has thousands, because it doesn't have many good features), and the template hacks and styles at VBulletinTemplates.com.

With vBulletin you have an extremely stable, reliable, secure, flexible, supported forum system. Can you say that about phpBB or Invision Board's Trial?

When you pay for vBulletin, you pay for quality. It's like when buying hosting: with free hosting you have ad-filled, small, hardly supported web space. When you pay for web space, you get full support, with techs that will go out of their way to help you (with a good host), no ads, and you PAY for the quality. Do the support people at phpBB or Invision (official forums, for free users) go out of their way to help you?

With what I have said, vBulletin is well worth $85 per year or $160 and $30 per year.

Good Luck.

Comment

• Icheb
                            • Nov 2002

The support is simply outstanding. Some time ago even Kier fixed a problem for me. Now if that's not awesome support I don't know what.

Comment

• Andy Huang
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
                              Every few months invision updates their TOS, its a one year trial only now fyi.
                              I just checked their TOS, it's not one year trial; its still as long as you need to trial it... But in all cases, vB 3 is still the winner until IPB 2.0 comes out in full.
                              Best Regards,
                              Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...