• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

Scrap vbulletin.org and vbulletintemplates.com

Hi,

Firstly, i understand that people are not going to like this idea as many people are dedicated to the two boards that i am about to mention.

However I feel that these two boards are not very active which automatically makes them not so appealing, there has been several disputes on the way they operate and that does not represent vBulletin very well at all.

I personally think it would be a good idea to get rid of both vbulletin.org and vbulletintemplates.com and just add more forums (child forums) to vbulletin.com/forum. That way people won't have to sign up on 3 different boards to receive;

- Support
    - Hacks
    - Templates

I think it would be best to have one single board, by doing so vbulletin.com/forum would have a bigger and more active community. This would also make vBulletin.com/forum more interesting as there would obviously be more discussion. Threads posted in the support forums would get replied to much quicker as well. All in all it would make vBulletin.com/forum's community bigger, which in my opinion, would be better than having 3 separate boards.

For a start I can't even access vbulletintemplates.com because of the email thing, though my details are correct. It took me a while to be able to fully access vbulletin.org as well. Having just one board (i.e. this one) would eliminate those issues for people who have those problems.

It would also be easier for Jelsoft to run these things at their own standard. I remember Wayne (I think) not being happy about the way the two sites were ran.

Some people may say that they should not put all of their eggs in one basket, though I personally feel that it would benefit vBulletin more and would make things easier and better for their customers.
    Last edited by RichM; Mon 3 May '04, 8:54am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Ongoing work is being done with these communities to increase their attractiveness. The hacking community at vBulletin.org was created for both legal and logistical purposes that still exist today. vBulletintemplates was created for personal reasons which may or may not continue to exist.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• filburt1
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Ongoing work is being done with these communities to increase their attractiveness. The hacking community at vBulletin.org was created for both legal and logistical purposes that still exist today. vBulletintemplates was created for personal reasons which may or may not continue to exist.
      To clarify, vB.org and vBT are their own separate sites as Jelsoft doesn't support modifying any of the code and creating a more unstable product.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• rebelsrock06
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        vBulletintemplates was created for personal reasons which may or may not continue to exist.
        NOOOOO, vbtemplates is like my fav modification board, without it i wouldnt have HALF the stuff on my boards
        Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

• rebelsrock06
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.6.x

also about the activity.

PPL go and get the mods and hacks and use them, it doesnt mean they have to post all the time

VBtemps has over 16,500 members and VB.org has over 47,000, so im just curious but WTF do you consider to be an "ACTIVE" board.....60...70...100 thousand members ?
          Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

• RichM
            • Jan 2003
            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by rebelsrock06
            also about the activity.

PPL go and get the mods and hacks and use them, it doesnt mean they have to post all the time

VBtemps has over 16,500 members and VB.org has over 47,000, so im just curious but WTF do you consider to be an "ACTIVE" board.....60...70...100 thousand members ?
            I mean active members, i.e. ones that go there on a daily basis and post. vb.org on the other hand has that so it seems though there are threads saying it has died down. So that just gave me the whole idea.

Comment

• rebelsrock06
              • Jan 2004
              • 3.6.x

Like i said tho, its a place where ppl go to get the mods and hack. Now unless they are like HUGE fans and post all the time or are making a request or are saying thanks to the creator, there arent going to be a lot of posts.

Then again i post a lot w/e i go so
              Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

• RichM
                • Jan 2003
                • 4.0.x

Originally posted by rebelsrock06
                there arent going to be a lot of posts.
                Well in my opinion that just gives it even more of a reason to be on vBulletin.com/forums instead. The other boards not having that much post activity is not a good thing. Therefore I don't really see a need for 3 boards when there could be 1 board to serve all purposes.
                I am not sure about the legal factor, as i don't know much about that, I won't be disputing it.

Comment

• rebelsrock06
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 3.6.x

WEll it causes for confusion and like they said

Jelsoft does NOT support modifying the code to make a more unstable product, therefore they will not allow it on the TechSupport forums

IMO i think they should stay seperate forums....not that they are schelduled to change or anything
                  Rebel Designs Studios

Comment

• AWS
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 5.2.x

I agree that template and graphics discussions should be here. vb.org on the other hand should stay although some changes need to be addressed and Wayne is taking care of them.
                    Jelsoft doesn't support code modified boards so having the mod community here would make no sense. It's better to have it as a sperate resource where support for modded boards would be handled.
                    vbtemplates however is a different story. There is no reason for it not to be here. Everyone modifies styles and since doing so uses features built in to vb and doesn't take code mods then it should be supported here. The support and knowledge here is superb. The support on the other sites leaves a lot to be desired.
                    My suggestion would be to create a couple more style forums to compliment what is already here and cut the ties to vbtemplates.
                    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

I am staff both here and vBuletin Templates, and the lack of acitivity has been declining, we are starting to get more trafic again. The lack of support there is not really true, i go there as soon as im done making my rounds here and try to best anwser the questions, however, it does hurt when people dont contribute back, ive released most of the major mods template wise and it was nice to see today someone released a very awsome style for free download. I believe that the slow period of the vBulletinTEmplates.com has passed and the activity will resume again soon :

Comment

• AWS
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 5.2.x

It is still a forum that would be better served here. There is a graphic and template forum already set up here. Why not expand upon it? The quality of support is better here. The community atmosphere is better here. Rarely do you see someone say "your site sucks" or something else abusive.
                        Another problem is new owners of vb probably find this all confusing.
                        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

I dont understand how a new owner would find vBT any more confusing than vB.org

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Zachery
                            I dont understand how a new owner would find vBT any more confusing than vB.org
                            I think that, he means how a new owner would be confused on how come they have to register at vbulletin.org for hacks and wait an hour for it to update and then for a template edit they now have to register at vBulletintemplates.com and wait an hour to get the template modification and then they need to come here for general support.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Ah, i thought it was directed directly at vBT and not both.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...