X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tigratrus
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.7.x

Adding additional "Required Fields"?

I can't find a way to do this, and I'm not having any luck finding anything in searches here on the forums.

I'm having trouble believing that it's not possible to set additional required fields to capture information such as what operating system the submitter is using, what browser and version is being used, what internet connection type/speed is being used etc.

Seriously, there are all sorts of information that may need to be used to troubleshoot an issue; version, category, and priority doesn't even come close! What if we want to use Project to track bugs in a client side application? At the very least we need to know some basic machine specs like:

Operating system:
    Direct X version:
    CPU:
    RAM:
    Grapichs card:

Is there no way to gather this information using Project?

If not, then I'm having some difficulty seeing what good is it for anyone except Jelsoft's internal use?

:: puzzled look ::

I'm really hoping I'm just not seeing something at the moment, and would really appreciate any guidance anyone can provide. Thanks!

James and Susan
  • King Kovifor
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.7.x

I don't think there are any additional fields for PT. IF there are, I haven't found them...

Comment

• Tigratrus
      • Oct 2006
      • 3.7.x

No wonder so few people use Project tools... How could being able to specify what data you collect during ticket submission *NOT* be a top priority goal in the development of a bug tracker?

I'm totally stunned, I figured I was just missing something. The required fields are actually hard coded?!

::baffled look::

James and Susan

Comment

• King Kovifor
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Tigratrus
        No wonder so few people use Project tools... How could being able to specify what data you collect during ticket submission *NOT* be a top priority goal in the development of a bug tracker?

I'm totally stunned, I figured I was just missing something. The required fields are actually hard coded?!

::baffled look::

James and Susan
        Required fields are the three you listed and are on the options somewhere. I can't give you an exact location. I'm saying additional fields aren't available.

Comment

• Tigratrus
          • Oct 2006
          • 3.7.x

I appreciate your responses, thanks. I've played with it enough to see how it's setup, and yes those required fields are checkboxes in the Add Project dialog.

I know PT is basically just the in-house Jelsoft system packaged up and offered to customers, but I'd think that by release 2 there would have been some thought put into making it useful for a broader range of customers? Seriously, being able to control what data is captured during ticket submission is a big *BIG* deal when trying to setup the system to be useful for something besides pure team coordination. If you're taking bug reports directly from the community, it would be of invaluable assistance.

Anyway, I really hope Mike sees this thread... Mike et al have done a great job on PT so far, but it could be a useful tool to a MUCH wider spectrum of customers if it was a bit more flexible and less specific to just vB team coordination .

James and Susan

Comment

• King Kovifor
            • Nov 2004
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Tigratrus
            I appreciate your responses, thanks. I've played with it enough to see how it's setup, and yes those required fields are checkboxes in the Add Project dialog.

I know PT is basically just the in-house Jelsoft system packaged up and offered to customers, but I'd think that by release 2 there would have been some thought put into making it useful for a broader range of customers? Seriously, being able to control what data is captured during ticket submission is a big *BIG* deal when trying to setup the system to be useful for something besides pure team coordination. If you're taking bug reports directly from the community, it would be of invaluable assistance.

Anyway, I really hope Mike sees this thread... Mike et al have done a great job on PT so far, but it could be a useful tool to a MUCH wider spectrum of customers if it was a bit more flexible and less specific to just vB team coordination .

James and Susan
            I've never really thought about it... But that would be useful along with a duplicate id field... As the developers don't always reply the the link and it's like, um, where is it?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...