how to Update templates from 3.6 to 3.7?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArriFinu
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.7.x

how to Update templates from 3.6 to 3.7?

Hello everybody,
    I had a forum with a free hosting website, and it was a 3.6.5 upgraded to 3.6.8.
    I don't know if it's possible to upload its DB to my new paying hoster, and accord it to my paid license. If allowed, then what about the Upgrading Templates problem. Because there will be for sure templates in need to be upgraded to the last version, so that the forum will be secure.

Thanks in advance
  • Andy Huang
    • Feb 2004

You should be able to find everything you need here:

If you are not changing domains ( IE: mysite.freehost.com -> mysite.com ) then you wouldn't need to worry about the cookie info setting, else be sure to do that section (highlighted in a red box for obvious attention grabbing ) before you start the move.

As for templates, you'd pretty much need to revert anything that is changed, or find the updated version of the style you're using (if you are using a cookie cutter designed style). Generally speaking, depending on the complexity of the edits you've done, this will probably take an hour or two. You can compare the template with what is in the system currently, and what is default using the history feature, which you can then see what needs to be changed to make things work.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

• ArriFinu
      • Feb 2007
      • 3.7.x

Thanks Andy,
      I'll have a took on that URL and see what I can get.

Comment

• ArriFinu
        • Feb 2007
        • 3.7.x

Do you advise me to install the 3.6.8 I had on the old server, so that it would work good with the BD, and upgrade it later to the 3.7.3?
        Or install straight away the 3.7.3 and upload the old DB?

Comment

• Andy Huang
          • Feb 2004

If you still have access to your old server, you can upgrade it there first, and then move the db to your new server. Or you can move it to your new server first, then upgrade to the new version on the new server, too. It doesn't really make any difference.

The only thing you need to make sure is to NOT install over top of an existing database (or else you lose everything in there). Upgrade, not install, when you already have data: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade
          Best Regards,
          Andy Huang

Comment

• ArriFinu
            • Feb 2007
            • 3.7.x

I know that while installing, there a step asks you to delete data in the BD. whereas upgrading does not
            Thanks for your advice

and sorry if I caused any disturbing
            Have a good day

Comment

• Andy Huang
              • Feb 2004

No worries, no distrubance caused; hope everything went well for you, please do drop back and let us know if you need any assistance
              Best Regards,
              Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...