Can a User subscribe to a thread for email notification without posting to it first?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gösta
    • Sep 2007
    • 4.2.X

Can a User subscribe to a thread for email notification without posting to it first?

Great Software. Absolutely great.

I hope this is the right forum for this question.

Can a User subscribe to a thread (or Forum) for email notification of additions without posting to it first?

Is there a setting the Admin can set that makes it a default when a new user signs up?

Thanks any replies.

It's a pretty day.
    I hope you enjoy it.
    Gösta

It's been a pretty day.
    I hope you enjoyed it.
    Gösta
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Yes, they can do that from the Thread Tools link.

Please see this: How To Set Defaults for New and Existing Users
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Gösta
      • Sep 2007
      • 4.2.X

Thanks your prompt reply, Steve.

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Am stilll very new with VB. I logged into my Forum (http://www.SwedesDock.com.Forum) as a non Admin (was already registered using an alias), but couldn't find any link for Thread Tools. I looked in the UserCP as well. The only setting I could find there was Edit Option>Thread Subscription and doesn't address my goal.

What I am asking is if a User can Subscribe to a Thread without having to post in it. Many of my (expected) users are/will be lurkers and will never post themselves. Some/many will only come if prompted by an email if they visit several times and there are no new posts to read. (Especially on the community forum, as they are mostly older folks and not very computer savvy.)

I looked at it and didn't find anything there to do what I'd like. (It may be there and I just didn't see it.

Again, thanks your prompt response.

Wi' a wee doch-an-dorris ............................Gösta

It's been a pretty day.
      I hope you enjoyed it.
      Gösta

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

I just tried out out on this thread with a test account. It shows fine:

You can set thread subscriptions as the default choice via the link I provided. If that is not what you meant, then please explain.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Gösta
          • Sep 2007
          • 4.2.X

I just tried out out on this thread with a test account. It shows fine:

You can set thread subscriptions as the default choice via the link I provided. If that is not what you meant, then please explain.
          Okay now I see the Thread Tools (only when reading a thread). I didn't look there. {my bad}

Thanks again your prompt replies Steve.

Wi' a wee doch-an-dorris ............................Gösta

It's been a pretty day.
          I hope you enjoyed it.
          Gösta

Comment

• DrSnoCaps
            • Jan 2008
            • 3.6.x

Please see this: How To Set Defaults for New and Existing Users

What about a single user (non-admin, non-moderator) that would like to be subscribed to everything via instant email? I haven't seen a way to that :-/

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

There is no function to do that.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• ZoDesigns.com
                • Nov 2005
                • 3.5.x

Need this as well...

Comment

• Irksome
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by DrSnoCaps
                  What about a single user (non-admin, non-moderator) that would like to be subscribed to everything via instant email? I haven't seen a way to that :-/
                  Add one to that feature request.

Comment

• Gordo
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Can it be made into a selection box ?

I am just setting up my forum but I am concerned that most of my users will not know that this is available. I've used the forum before but didn't know it was there myself.

Is there a way to create a bar at the top/bottom of every forum that will say :

Would you like an email notification when there is a new message on this forum ?

Ideally this will be very prominent and users can just click on a box for yes. This bar would appear for every forum and indicated whether they are subscribed to it or not. So if a user goes back to the forum later and is not sure whether he is subscribed or not, he can see it from that bar. The frequency could be set on it as well, to immediate, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly.

The other portion of it would be to have a drop down menu that would be set to the forum currently being viewed as the default, but in the menu they can select any, some or all of the forums. This menu would be accessible in every forum.

Is that something that is already in here or can it be built ?

Thanks

Gord

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...