X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustAskJulie
    • Nov 2002
    • 3.6.x

Blog Questions

I have a couple of things I'm seeing in VBlogs that I'm really unclear about and hoping someone can help me clear up.

1. What is the difference between "Best Blogs" and "Best Entries". I see that you can rate individual entries and the highest rated ones show up in Best Entries. But I can not figure out what shows up in "Best Blogs" or how to get them there. I don't see a way to rate an entire blog.

2. Trackbacks? What are they? How do you do them? I'm guessing it's a way to link between blogs, but how do you do this so that it shows up as a trackback?
    Julie
  • Onimua
    • Apr 2005

Trackback / Pingback – trackback and pingback are methods for letting a web author know that you've linked to their document, it is common for blog entries to be interlinked across different sites.
    As for blog ratings, there's entry ratings, and then blog ratings. From what I've noticed, the blog rating in general is an average of all the total blog entries combined.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• JustAskJulie
      • Nov 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Onimua
      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/blog_terminology

As for blog ratings, there's entry ratings, and then blog ratings. From what I've noticed, the blog rating in general is an average of all the total blog entries combined.
      As for the trackback, how is that done exactly? It it just between different sites that use the blogs? Or between different blogs within the same site? And how does a user use it to interlink to another blog.

On the blog ratings, wouldn't that mean that if I have a blog with two entries showing as the Best Entries that that blog would show up as the Best Blog?
      Julie

Comment

• Onimua
        • Apr 2005

Wikipedia explains it better than I could; it basically ends out a ping from your blog to wherever it's being linked from, and that tells the blog author who's referencing his/her blog.

As for Best Entires, no, it would not. If you look at your blog options, there's an option that affects the display of when the Best Blog entires would start to appear:

Minimum Blog Rating Votes - This controls how many ratings it would take before it appears on the Best Blog list. So if you have two entries that show as Best Entries, unless total the blog has a combined ten or more votes (going on the default option), then it won't show up on Best Entries.

Comment

• JustAskJulie
          • Nov 2002
          • 3.6.x

So do you just do a regular link from one blog to another and then check the option for the trackback? Or is there some special way it has to be linked?
          Julie

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

If you select the option to allow them, then you just use the link at the bottom ofthe blog under the Track Backs title.

For example, the track back link for one of my blog entries is: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog_callback.php?b=1707

So you use that to paste it wherever you wish to reference the blog (as far as my understanding of it goes).

Comment