Could VB Lite be a Yahoo-Notes replacement?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • posh-spice
    • Jun 2002

Could VB Lite be a Yahoo-Notes replacement?

Here's the scenario:

I'm on the road a lot. I'd like a way to keep track of notes on clients from wherever I am as long as I have access to a web browser.

I currently use Yahoo Notes ([url]http://notepad.yahoo.com[/url]).

Despite a crappy interface and a number of limitations, it does allow me to keep track of notes in a somewhat hierarchical order.

However, now that I've heard of VB, I am thinking I can plunk down an old Pentium box (essentially free), a copy of NT 4.0 Workstation, PHP, MYSQL and VB Lite, hook it up to my static-address DSL line and be able to have a place I can "web into from anywhere" and make and edit notes.

Is this right?

Some questions:

1) Is a Pentium 200 too slow? Remember it's only me (and maybe my secretary, so 2 people max).

2) Does VB lite have a password protection system so that someone can't get into my notes easily (as an aside, how secure is VB lite?)

3) One nice thing about Yahoo Notepad is that it has a button for a "Printable View" of one note. Is there an equivalent for VB Lite? I notice that even in the full VB, there doesn't seem to be a facility to print just a single post (that is, if there are 10 posts in a thread, then all 10 posts will print if I want just a portion of the post to print). Is there a way to print just one post out of a thread?

4) One serious limitation of Yahoo notes is that I have no low-level access to the data so I can't back it up. I am at the mercy of Yahoo. Can all the data in the database and VB be backed up easily? E.g. is it in one or just a few areas so that a simple file copy or burn to a CD is sufficient? (in contrast to some Microsoft applications where data and system files are scattered all over hell's half-acre including places in the registry making an easy backup/restore difficult...)
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

1. Maybe, maybe not. That certainly isn't a very good perver.

2. vB Lite will not work for this purpose. It has no password protection other than to the Admin CP. Note that vB Lite is not designed to be a fully functioning forum. It's purpose is to determine whether the server is capable of supporting vB.

3. There is currently no option to print out one post in vB Lite or vB.

4. Backing up the database is easy - particularly if you have shell access to the server. In your case this would be no problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• posh-spice
      • Jun 2002

Re: Pentium 200 - it should work but only be slow right? I'm thinking there would be at most 2000 posts per year.

Re: password, if VB lite can't do it, can something be put in front, so to speak, to force a password challenge before a user gets to VB lite?

Re: printing a post - I just found that highlighting what I want to print (whether it's just one post or 2 or maybe a few) and then File-Print-Selection works just fine

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Again the purpose of vB Lite is to determine if a server is able to support vB. It looks like you are looking for a free BB system and don't want to pay anything. In that case I suggest you do some searching. There are other systems out there that are free and more suitable for this purpose than vB Lite. They won't be as good as vB, but if it's free you want, then you can do better than vB Lite.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• posh-spice
          • Jun 2002

Thanks. I have begun searching and yes there are alternatives. But you could be right in that VB is the best.

I'm not trying to get away with not paying for anything. If VB Lite works, I hope you won't mind me using it as it is. I'm not actually going to run a full blown BB. It's just for my own notes.

Perhaps you should consider tweaking it and making an alternative product geared toward small virtual teams that work collaboratively on projects. Something with better threading of posts similar to USENET. Just a thought.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...