Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbas
    • May 2002

Installing With Personal Web Manager

We've successfully run through all of the installation steps, after applying workarounds found in this forum, and figuring out that all of the install files must be published into the webpub dir. After renaming index.php and installtemplates.php and clicking the forum link, the control panel launches and allows access to the settings. The thing is, we can't seem to get to the actual forum page now. The forum link just reloads the control panel.

I'm sure there is some rookie mistake involved here, but is there some quirk of Personal Web Manager that we're missing? I can't quite work out where the actual forum lives once its configured.

Any thoughts?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Why did you rename index.php? You shouldn't rename any of the vB files. Just make sure you retain the directory structure that was in the zip file.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tbas
      • May 2002

Whoops! No, I meant to say I renamed install.php per the script's instructions. Actually, it said to delete it; but that seemed kinda destructive.

During the installation procedure, I was prompted to enter the forum URL. I wasn't sure how this fit in to PWM's structure, but I specified [url]http://[/url]{webservername}. So, the control panel's link to the Forum Home Page points to [url]http://[/url]{webservername}/index.php. This produces a 404 error. I guess I was expecting the control panel to alter/create some other php file to be used as the working forum page, realizing that I may have to "publish" this file to PWM (or just copy it to the webpub directory, as this seems to be what "publishing" does).
      When I navigate to [url]http://[/url]{webservername}, default.asp fires up, with a link to my published files; index.php among them. Hitting this link brings up the control panel, which, so far, has been a dead end. :confused:

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Do you know where you installed vB Lite? You should be able to figure out the URL from it's location on your webspace.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tbas
          • May 2002

I can provide more detail tomorrow, as we're running the vBlite and the web manager on a workstation on our local LAN. But, in abstract, the physical location of vblite is as it was unzipped on the harddrive, with the vBlite directory on the root and the attendant files and subdirectories under it. Where it relates to our webspace is harder for me to relate. Personal Web Manager, after it's installed, creates a plain default homepage - default.asp. We then used the Publish wizard to create the presence of the configuration files in the webspace, as far as PWM is concerned. The list of published files is accesses from the default, and install.php is accessed from this list. The script was able to access mySQL and set up the tables and templates, and concludes by allowing us to launch the admin console.

Is there a particular file I should be seeing in a place on the filesystem heirarchy? As you can probably tell, the relationship between our webspace as PWM sees it and the physical filesystem of the machine is where I'm missing the boat.

I'll be able to get back under the hood in the a.m.

Thanks for bearing with me. :)

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Sorry but I have no experiencce with or knowledge of how Personal Web manager works. I don't know what to suggest.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• tbas
              • May 2002

Figured It Out!

It's about as simple as I figured it would be. In case anyone else is trying this -
              The default direcory for PWM's webspace is c:\inetpub\wwwroot. Copying the whole vblite directory here allows it and its subdirectories to be browsed directly, and the installation routine to properly set up the webspace for the app. I have accessed our vBlite forum from other office PC's now, so I guess the full-blown version should work fine.

Comment

• filburt1
                • Feb 2002

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by tbas [/i]
                [B]Whoops! No, I meant to say I renamed install.php per the script's instructions. Actually, it said to delete it; but that seemed kinda destructive.[/B][/QUOTE]

It is very important that you do delete it because anybody who found out the new filename could take over your forums.
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• tbas
                  • May 2002

filburt1 - thanks. Didn't realize that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...