Help Please! Install Problem on Apache Web Server...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hnetka
    • Mar 2002

Help Please! Install Problem on Apache Web Server...

My web site is on an Apache web server running both PHP4 and MySQL 2.23

I am trying to install the Lite version to verify that it works great on my server, then I will buy the full version to migrate my car club to. We are currently using UBB 6 and are located at thefbody.com

Here are the errors I get after trying to install the software:

Of course, anytime you see ?#?#?#, just means that I have replaced some folder names, etc for privacy purposes...

---------------------------
    URL In Window:

[url]http://?#?#?#?.thefbody.com/?#?#?#?#/admin/install.php?step=3[/url]
    ---------------------------
    Error Displayed:

Attempting to connect...

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/admin/db_mysql.php on line 31

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/?#?#?#/admin/db_mysql.php on line 37
    --------------------------

I appreciate any help people can give me...
  • nuno
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.8.x

double check /tmp folder permissions
    You're my Prince of Peace
    And I will live my life for You

Comment

• hnetka
      • Mar 2002

How exactly would I go about doing that?

The guy that owns this server doesn't know MySQL too much and only installed it on the server because of my request.

So, if I have to go to him to ask him questions, I need a little more information....

What/How would I tell him to check the permissions on /tmp?? I know there is no folder in my area with that name for it.

Comment

• WizyWyg
        • Jul 2001

Please have your friend as well as you visit:

[url]http://www.mysql.com[/url] and read over the documentation and installation.

[url]http://www.apache.org[/url] to learn more about the server software and how you can establish persmissions to certain folders.
        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• hnetka
          • Mar 2002

Well, after lots of searching and reading, I finally succeeded in my task!

Here is the comment on the MySQL site that helped me solve my problem in only a couple of seconds:

----------
          If you keep getting: error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)' Some RPM's put the mysql.sock file in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock instead of /tmp/mysql.sock I was pulling my hair out for ages over this! Small hack is to symlink it: "ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp"
          ----------

By using their small hack, the version is now up and running properly.....

Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...