X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

vBulletin Lite Installation Tutorial

I have just posted an extensive tutorial on setting up vBulletin Lite on f2s.com - the steps could equally be applied to any free webspace provider.

The tutorial is located at [url]http://www.kier.f2s.com[/url]

Have fun ;)
  • Kewlphper
    • Apr 2001

Wow, thanks! I am going to go through the tutorial now and see how it turns out.

I appreciate you taking the time to do this for us, thank you again!

I will post my results asap!

Thanks! ;)
    Kewlphper

Comment

• Kewlphper
      • Apr 2001

I just got this error message, after it said connection was successful, then I clicked to continue but got this error message instead. I rechecked my config.php file and it all seems correct, but still not able to proceed further any ideas? I did refresh the browser and retyped my config file, but one thing is weird. in my CUTE FTP, my config file on my local drive is 708 file size, but on the server side directory it's 683, even when I upload to overwrite the old one, it doesn't change...but inside the files, they are the same.

The error message read:

Setting up tables...

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Comment

• Kier
        • Sep 2000

Right-click the page and choose 'view source' then paste the entire text of the source code here.

Comment

• Kohhal
          • May 2001
          • 3.6.x

Wow excellent tutorial. I just finished installing and everything went exactly like your tutorial said. Downloaded the Lite package on Friday, have it working today, cheers, G :D

Comment

• Kewlphper
            • Apr 2001

After my error yesterday, I signed up for a 2nd account with f2s.com and got a different error(after clicking through the steps of the installation, then proceeded to click on control panel, but was told my admin name was not valid and to submit) with that one. :confused: Going to follow the tutorial again with this second account, to see what I missed.

But First:
            Here's my first account error is pasted here for you:Not sure what it all means. Let me know, thanks! Kewlphper

<html>
            <!--
            --><head><title>vBulletin Lite Install Wizard 1.0.1 Lite - Set up tables</title></head>
            <body><p>Setting up tables...</p>
            <!-- Database error in vBulletin Lite Installer: Invalid SQL: CREATE TABLE forum (
            forumid SMALLINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
            title CHAR(100) NOT NULL,
            description CHAR(250) NOT NULL,
            active SMALLINT NOT NULL,
            displayorder SMALLINT NOT NULL,
            replycount INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
            lastpost INT NOT NULL,
            threadcount MEDIUMINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
            allowposting SMALLINT NOT NULL,
            PRIMARY KEY(forumid)
            )
            mysql error: Table 'forum' already exists
            mysql error number: 1050
            Date: Sunday 06th of May 2001 02:25:49 PM
            Script: /forums/admin/install.php?step=4
            Referer: [url]http://www.--------.f2s.com/forums/admin/install.php?step=3[/url]
            -->
            </td></tr></table>
            <p>There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
            Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.</p>An E-Mail has been dispatched to our <a href="mailto:">Technical Staff</a>, who you can also contact if the problem persists.</p><p>We apologise for any inconvenience.</p>
            -------------------
            If you want to check out the site itself to see what I did wrong, then email me and I'll reply back with the actual url.
            Thanks!
            Kewlphper
            Last edited by Kewlphper; Sun 6 May '01, 2:54pm.

Comment

• Kewlphper
              • Apr 2001

I just tried again and again several times today to get the board up, but getting error messages, should I apply for a new database now, in case I need a different one?

Also, do I keep my login to my f2s.com account browser open, would that interfere being able to get into my database? Also as I follow the first two "click " to continue steps, do I keep my phpadmin browser open or log off that before connecting with Cute FTP?

I got a different error message this time round here it is for you to review, thanks!
              Let me know what I am doing wrong, I did delete the old lite package and signed up for another one to download and re-uploaded it all over again in case, but here's the new error:

"Attempting to connect...

Connect failed: unexpected error from the database.

Error number: 1044

Error description: Access denied for user: '------' to database -----

Please ensure that the database and server is correctly configured and try again.

Click to go to the vBulletin website
              -----------------------------------

Am I suppose to config any other files needed for connection to the database? Let me know...
              That's what I got this time round, thanks for any help.
              Kewlphper
              :confused: :(

Comment

• Kohhal
                • May 2001
                • 3.6.x

Hmm, I followed the tutorial exactly and had no problems. You know that when you signed up for your new account the way you have to wait til the next morning for it to be activated, and then when you add the database you have to wait another day until the server is reset or something before you can use it? Well that's what I had to do so when I tried the install before the database was ready I got an error on step 3 which I think was similiar to yours, there's a post on this board about it. HTH, G
                I'd follow the tutorial step-by-step leaving everything open once you're sure your database is ready and you shouldn't have any problems. You'll know the database is ready when you can login to the web database tool without any errors....

Comment

• Kewlphper
                  • Apr 2001

I signed up for my F2s.com site on April 27th and selected to get the database the next day, so I have had a database since Monday last week, Aprill 30th, so I don't think it's the database, BUT...I had been originally trying to install a phpbook(guestbook) from [url]www.netone.at[/url] and was wondering yesterday if the database is set up for that and not the forum? Do I need 2 separate databases for each php script? I will delete the phpbook and all files and start over again in case...and see what happens.

When I install, it's been saying successful after the first few steps, then I get the error.

The second site I signed up for was pratically installed till I got to the control panel link, then got an error message. So I was unable to proceed further. I tried that site again yesterday, but got same error message as the first site I was working with.
                  I just need one forum to work. Once I get it to work, then I will upgrade but not till then.

Note: I have gotten to step 10 - 11 on the first site and got to step 13 on the second site before the error messages.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
                  Kewlphper

Comment

• Kier
                    • Sep 2000

Kewlphper: When [b]you[/b] run the installer, click the link to [b]EMPTY THE DATABASE[/b], then see if it goes through okay.

Comment

• Kewlphper
                      • Apr 2001

YEAH! It worked! Thanks Kier!!!
                      :D :) ;) :cool:

Though I am curious why the database needed to be reset, could you explain that part?

Otherwise here's my board so far, will tweak up the colors, text, titles, etc.

[url]http://www.kewlphper.f2s.com/forums/index.php[/url]

Thanks Again! ;)
                      Kewlphper

ALSO...can the lite forum take smilies/caricatures? or is it only in the full version. Before I forget, does the full version install like this lite version?
                      Last edited by Kewlphper; Mon 7 May '01, 4:49am.

Comment

• Kewlphper
                        • Apr 2001

Kier

Some friends of mine tried posting onto the forum by replying to the current post on there but it didn't go through, one of them got this error message:

------------------
                        Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /web/sites/---/kewlphper/www.kewlphper.f2s.com/forums/admin/db_mysql.php on line 31

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
                        --------------------

Any idea what this means Kier?
                        Thanks! ;)
                        Kewlphper

Comment

• Kier
                          • Sep 2000

1) Smilies, icons etc. are only available in the full version

2) Yes, the full version installs very much like this version... perhaps even easier.

3) Your mysql error message means that you have run out of mysql connections - meaning that your site has opened more connections to the mysql database than the host will allow. This is often the case with free providers, and there's not a lot you can do about it short of emailing the host to ask them to up the max_connections limit - which they almost certainly won't do.

Comment

• Kewlphper
                            • Apr 2001

Thanks again Kier for all the explanations, I emailed f2s.com about the database errors. In fact I have emailed them 4 times now in one week but no replies yet. Wonder how often they reply if one is stuck.

I have another question, if I want to customize the colors and logo at the top to my forum name, how do I get back to the control panel that I had up before? Do I have to run install.php again?
                            I have read the files using notepad, made a few changes, but wondered if there was a shortcut to getting it customized quicker with the forum name and topics, different colored bars, etc... I think you get the question I am trying to ask.

I do see 2 rawlog files when entering my website database tool link, does that mean I have 2 databases? Or should I have only one? Not really sure what those files are for.

Thanks for all your help with the tutorial, which made it easier to understand how to install it, now I need to get more acquainted with PHP to be able to create a forum from scratch down the road.

I see the cost of purchase isn't too bad, I should go for the $85 package right?

Thanks! ;)
                            Kewlphper

Comment

• Kier
                              • Sep 2000

You can access the control panel at any time by visiting [url]http://www.kewlphper.f2s.com/forums/admin/[/url]

And yes, if you like vBLite, you are going to love vB2 :)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...