X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom
    • Jun 2000

Odd MySQL Problems

I'm having a strange problem:

If I use localhost as the hostname I get an unable to connect error. If I specify the IP address, I can connect only if I don't include a password (but then I can't access my database). If I go to a TelNet session, I have no problem getting into MySQL with my user id and password.
  • werehere
    • Apr 2000

Please give as many details as you can for us. Is this a shared mysql server or a dedicated one? So the password and username that you can use with telnet does not get you in?
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]

Comment

• Tom
      • Jun 2000

It is a shared MySQL. The user id and password that works in a TelNet session does not work using the script.

I can't connect at all specifying localhost. Here is the message I get:
      [b]Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server (111) in db_mysql.php on line 31[/b]

If I run the script with an IP address and a user id and password, I get a message:
      [b]Warning: Access denied for user: 'xxxxxx@' (Using password: YES) in db_mysql.php on line 31[/b]

If I run the script with an IP address and no password, it connects but then I can't access the database.

Thanks for any help. It is greatly appreciated!

[Edited by Tom on 06-19-2000 at 07:35 PM]

Comment

• manifesto
        • Apr 2000

Does the database have a password? I only ask since you said without a pw is the only time you can actually connect to it.

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

yeah i am getting a similar problem with the lite version - i just got php3 and mysql installed on my dedicated server

[b]Warning: Host '' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in db_mysql.php on line 31

Warning: 0 is not a MySQL link index in db_mysql.php on line 37[/b]

any ideas ?
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

well i solved my problem - i had the wrong server name in the config.php file
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Tom
              • Jun 2000

Then database does have a password. Anyone can connect to MySQL witout a password but you have very limited functionality (you can only access a test database). I can connect to localhost MySQL using id and password through TelNet. It just doesn't work through the install.php.

Comment

• Tom
                • Jun 2000

I figured it out! For some reason, localhost must start with an uppercase "L". I changed my server name to Localhost and everything went perfect. I just bought the real version and the installation was flawless.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...