Problem with popup menus doing nothing (not showing)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StephenKay
    • Apr 2003

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. In the meantime, I provided Zachery with the links and information he requested, so I'd like to know if there's any help you can give me based on the provided information about the js error... Thanks.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

What is the styleid of the default vBulletin style that you added?

Comment

• StephenKay
        • Apr 2003

I'm not sure what you mean. It's the fourth one in the list, named "test style".

There is no way to manually change the style on my forum. In the USER CP, I commented out the code that allows a user to change it. Rather, I can set a specific user to have a specific style.

I have set the test user that I provided up above to the new style I created (test style), which was made by clicking on "Add New Style" with all default settings and no parent. When I log in with the info I gave you, I see the default vBulletin style forum.

Comment

• StephenKay
          • Apr 2003

EDIT: Oh, I just realized that with a new default style, that the code to change the style *would* be in there as well... anyway, it's the 4th one, named "test style". Does that answer your question?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

In the admincp, if you right click on the title of the style and copy the link, that will be the link to the default vB style.

Comment

• StephenKay
              • Apr 2003

Zachery, if you cannot log-in with the test user account I gave you (because that would qualify as "support"), why not just say so?

Anyway, thanks for trying to help...

The style ID is 8.

Comment

• StephenKay
                • Apr 2003

I hope my comment did not put you off, I just didn't understand why, when I had created a simple user account you could log-in to to see the style, it apparently wasn't useful.

I understand that 3.7.7 is not officially supported with tickets etc.; however, I have now told you the style ID as requested, so if you could take a look at it and offer some suggestions, it would be appreciated. I mean, the js error is there, I just don't know what it means, or what to do about it. Thank you.

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

One thing I noticed, which you may want to look further at, is that the forums it does NOT work in are the ones that have the New Thread button on the top. The New Member Zones forum works and does not have a New Thread button at the top. It also doesn't have the pagination links. I'm not sure which of those is the key here as I couldn't look at any more forums on your site cuz the server load went high and wouldn't let me see anything (I got the message "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.").

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• StephenKay
                    • Apr 2003

Thank you for the suggestion. I have checked further and it's NOT the new thread button, since this sub-forum works:

So I will investigate the pagination links, although given that we are testing this with a new default style, I don't see how any modifications I may have done would be affecting this.

Also, I'd like to point out that even on the pages/forums where it "works", you still have to click it twice. The first time generates the same js error, and does nothing, while the second time puts up the popup menu.

Comment

• StephenKay
                      • Apr 2003

Update:

I just replaced clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js with the version from 3.7.3. All of the problems go away, it is completely fixed. Not only do the menus work in all forums, they only require 1 click to work.

Comparing the two versions, I see that it starts to differ about midway through the code, but it's hard to make any sense of it because it's all one line of code jumbled together.

There's clearly something about the 3.7.7 vbulletin_menu.js code that is screwing up my forum, but how to find out what it is?

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

If the 3.7.3 js file works, then just stick with it.

If you really wanted to compare them, download them from the members area but under the More Download Options, make sure to select "download file" "package - uncompressed javascript". Then you will get the uncompressed versions of the js files.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• StephenKay
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Lynne
                          If the 3.7.3 js file works, then just stick with it.
                          To me, that would not be entirely acceptable without understanding the problem, because how would I know if this didn't introduce some other issue that I haven't noticed yet?

However, FYI, I have compared the uncompressed js files, and this looks like a bug to me in the programming. The only difference between the two files (as far as the code goes) is the insertion of these lines at line 334:

Code:

// Get rid of the internal reference title if it is still lurking around  
                          		if (blocks[i].title == "nohilite") 
                          		{ 
                          			blocks[i].title = ''; 
                          		}
                          However, if you look at the code, these lines are outside of the for loop using variable 'i' as a counter; they don't seem to make sense unless I'm reading it wrong.

Not sure if it matters at this point, being 3.7.x...

Anyway, since that is the only difference between the two files, I'm satisfied that I can continue using the 3.7.3 one.

Comment

• pattycake
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 3.6.x

I too had this problem... spent days searching and looking thru literally hundreds of posts until I finally found this thread.

I also found that going back to an earlier version of clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js did the trick BUT.... that was NOT the REAL problem.... the real problem is the YUI (Yahoo! User Interface Library) that is stored on your server. If you are having this problem, here's a quick way to test if the problem is with the locally served YUI files...

1. Go to admincp --> VBulletin Options --> Server Settings and Optimization Options
                            2. Change the YUI setting from "none" to "Yahoo" (change it to "google" if your site uses SSL)

Now go back to your site, do a refresh on your home page and see if the DHTML dropdowns now work.... mine did.

Hopefully, this is your solution too.

-pat-

(I'm off to get newer YUI files)

BTW: I am running 3.8.1, and I had gone back to the 3.75 version of the clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js before I found the REAL problem. I am back to using the original 3.81 clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js file now and yep, all is well.
                            Last edited by pattycake; Wed 8 Aug '12, 6:31pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...