X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chevy II
    • Nov 2003

Backing up

Hi,
    When backing up the db, is it always necessary to backup the forms at the same time?

Thanks
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Forums? Do you mean the vB files? Generally not, although you should have a backup of config.php and any custom images, along with attachments, avatars, etc. if you store those int he file system.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sticky1
      • Jul 2008

Is there an easy way of backing up to my laptop..?

Comment

• Epiic
        • Apr 2009

No it is not necessary, you can restore your forum just with the vbulletin.sql file, but it doesn't hurt to back up everything.

Generally, I backup vbulletin.sql once a day.

I backup the files (FTP) about once every week.

Comment

• bigwater
          • Jan 2007

Site backups, both filesystem and database are only critical if you care about your data. For a hobby site you may be able to stand the loss of a few days/months worth of data. It's too easy to maintain backups of data for even the most trivial of sites though, and your users may not think that the loss of data is trivial, no matter how trivial you may consider the site to be.
          Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• Sticky1
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Epiic
            No it is not necessary, you can restore your forum just with the vbulletin.sql file, but it doesn't hurt to back up everything.

Generally, I backup vbulletin.sql once a day.

I backup the files (FTP) about once every week.

I need to back up at least once a week. Is the vbulletin.sql file where all the threads/posts are held..? Where do i find this file on the server..?

thanks

Comment

• kat00
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Sticky1
              Is there an easy way of backing up to my laptop..?
              I think your supposed to start your own thread......

But this is a lot easier than it looks http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95051

You will need to persevere and practise but it works......I purchased smart FTP, set up some scheduled tasks and its completely automated.
              I don't know much about programming or computers for that matter but the instructions in that post are pretty good.
              ttttt

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...