X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chevy II
    • Nov 2003

SPAM? Hacked?

Hi,
    I have had a few users tell me yesterday and today that they have received this email; however, we all know that only the admin/moderators can retrieve user email addresses. How could/did this happen? Thanks

Hello,
    My name is silver i saw your profile here(
    www.myurl.com)today and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more and estabilish a relationship that is bassed on truth and trust with you i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email address [email protected].

I am waiting for your mail to my email address above please i have something very very important i will like to tell you.I believe we can start from here!
    Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life.
    silver....
    [email protected]
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Chevy II
    Hi,
    I have had a few users tell me yesterday and today that they have received this email; however, we all know that only the admin/moderators can retrieve user email addresses. How could/did this happen? Thanks
    Depends on a user's options whether email addresses are visible.
    Has nothing to do with admins or mods unless there is some option to disable viewing email addresses from all users.

I don't allow users with fewer than 5 posts to send email or PMs for this reason.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Chevy II
      • Nov 2003

Thanks for the note, but no users except the mods and myself can view any user email address, as they're not visible.

There must be another way someone got the email address of some of my users.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

As long as you allow members to email each they can do this through the forums without having direct access to their email address.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Chevy II
          • Nov 2003

Steve,
          Thanks, but I also have this option turned off too. Users cannot email each other from the site.

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Listing Options -> Member List Field Options -> Contact ( is not checked)

I'm starting to think that the users that received this spam had their email address listed in a public post at sometime, and this thread was cached on GOOGLE. Is this possible?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Then it is not possible for anyone to get member's email address with the default vB code. They either have that address posted somewhere or a third-party add-on is causing this.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...