Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedWingFan
    • Sep 2004

Thread View Counts

Our threadviews table had crashed, so our scheduled task to update the thread views was not running for a couple of weeks.

I've 1) fixed the table, and I'm rebuilding the 2) forum information, 3) thread information, then 4) manually running the scheduled task. Will this restore view counts, or are they permanently lost? It's not a big deal, but we want to let users know so they don't pester us endlessly (like they have for the past week or two).

How we noticed the error: the the view count was one higher than the number of replies (or basically, one view count for each post in the thread). Older threads have a higher count, but more recent ones are stuck. I'm hoping this procedure fixes things up.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Sorry, the old counts are gone.

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Update Thread Views Immediately -> Yes
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• RedWingFan
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Sorry, the old counts are gone.

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Update Thread Views Immediately -> Yes
      Thanks Steve. I'll let them know the counts are gone.

We had turned off immediate view counts to cut down on server load. Does this really impact things much, or should we leave it off? Most of the time we're running OK, but maybe once an hour during peak hours we hit a bit of a spike in CPU usage and things slow down.

I may also need George to look at our my.cnf again and suggest a few more tweaks...I haven't done that in awhile.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

I would try it for a while and check the server load. Then you can turn it off again and monitor the load for a while to see if it makes any noticeable difference.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• RedWingFan
          • Sep 2004

I may do that when I get a chance--thanks!

I'm running through all the repair and rebuild options right now to make sure everything is in order. I see that MySQL is telling me to "upgrade" a few tables using REPAIR TABLE, so I will tackle that next (to be on the safe side). Probably late tonight after peak hours...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...