Tried an SSH backup for the first time...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carly1
    • Sep 2005

Tried an SSH backup for the first time...

and now I have a constant Database Error.

What the heck did I do wrong? How do I fix this????

I used the command

mysqldump --user [username] --password=[password] [databasename] > backup.sql

I tried inputting
    mysql --user [username] --password=[password] [databasename] < backup.sql

but to no avail.

Help!!!!
  • veenuisthebest
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.8.x

This is one perfect command to get a gzipped backup.

mysqldump --opt -Q -u USERNAME -p DATABASENAME | gzip > /home/username/dbbackup.sql.gz
    - This is the same USERNAME and DATABASENAME that you have entered in config.php
    - You'll be prompted for a password, enter the password that you have in config.php for your username.

Comment

• Carly1
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by veenuisthebest
      This is one perfect command to get a gzipped backup.

- This is the same USERNAME and DATABASENAME that you have entered in config.php
      - You'll be prompted for a password, enter the password that you have in config.php for your username.
      If I do this now, will it get my site back up or is it gone forever?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Why are you trying to restore a backup?

We need to see the real error message. Right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. Then copy-n-paste the error message here.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Carly1
          • Sep 2005

I was trying to back it up. I was hoping maybe reversing the command and restoring would fix it.

It's the generic database error page

Database error

The database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
          • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
          • Open the www.armywivesforums.com home page, then try to open another page.
          • Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.armywivesforums.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
          We apologise for any inconvenience.
          (or http://www.armywivesforums.com/forums will show it to you exactly.)

Thank you for your help...

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

For future reference, right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. That will show the real database error message:

mysql_connect() [&lt;a href='function.mysql-connect'&gt;function.mysql-connect&lt;/a&gt;]: Access denied for user 'armyw3_admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
            /var/www/vhosts/armywivesforums.com/httpdocs/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 311

The most likely cause of this error is that the info in your config.php file is wrong or your db user does not have full permissions to this database. Please read this for all the known causes of this error:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Carly1
              • Sep 2005

Thank you so much.

I changed the password of the admin user for mysql without ever thinking of how that affected the forums

I really appreciate the help and I'm sorry I didn't understand the View/Source thing

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...