• Show
Clear All
  • BamaStangGuy
    Banned
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.6.x

Annoying Problem When Sending Email via Google Apps

Hi,

I have this very annoying problem that I would like to get fixed when I use Google Apps to send email through my forum.

I've set it up correctly in the mail settings and the email is sent out properly but when a guest or member sends me email via the Contact Us forum it replaces their email in the From: field with the email address of the forums email address.

For instance, User Bob opens the contact us page and fills it out and sends me an email. User Bob's email address is [email protected]

Well, when I receive this email, it says the email is from [email protected]

Therefore, I can not simply hit reply and send an email back because I will only be sending myself the email. I have to manually copy the email address and then paste it into the To: field.

See the screen shot. In the screen shot it says Rocket 442 @ MustangEvolution sent the email and that his email address is forum at mustangevolution.com

Yet his email address is clearly a gmail.com address as noted by the arrows. Also, you can see the email was sent to forum at mustangevolution.com

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
    Attached Files
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

When a registered user loads the contact form it automatically fills in their email address from their profile. Guests don't have profiles so they need to fill in their own email. Apparently they are not filling in their email.

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
      Banned
      • Mar 2004
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      When a registered user loads the contact form it automatically fills in their email address from their profile. Guests don't have profiles so they need to fill in their own email. Apparently they are not filling in their email.
      It is filling in the email. I've tested it by sending email with me logged in and it still doesn't do the From: correctly when I receive it.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Maybe that is a behavior of your mail server. vBulletin uses that specified email as the from address. I don't know of any other explanation.

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
          Banned
          • Mar 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
          Maybe that is a behavior of your mail server. vBulletin uses that specified email as the from address. I don't know of any other explanation.
          This is happening on all of my forums that send email out via SMTP using smtp.gmail.com via Google Apps.

This happens with plugins disable. This happens on a fresh install.

For some reason vbmail() isn't using the $from correctly as $vbulletin->GPC['email'] always holds the $vbulletin->options['webmasteremail'] even when the email field is populated with a different email address in the form. This issue is very annoying.

Basically every email that gets sent out from Contact Us is being sent out via forum at mustangevolution.com to forum at mustangevolution.com

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

An idea:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes

Comment

• BamaStangGuy
              Banned
              • Mar 2004
              • 3.6.x

Didn't work

I can't believe no one else is using Google Apps to send out email?

Comment

• Itworx4me
                • Jun 2002
                • 3.6.x

Going through smtp.gmail.com will this filter out the spam emails?

Thanks,
                Itworx4me

Comment

• Chicken Racer
                  • Feb 2005

I'm having problems with google apps for months.
                  Im using google apps for my forum , vb mail tested fine , it works on sending out reg activation to free email accounts such as gmail,yahoo, hotmail ect but when a valid email tries and registers no activation email arrives at their inbox.
                  It's not even arriving in spam.
                  The same applies to alert pms or replies , no email alerts work.

I also tested contact us on forum page and I get nothing in my google apps.

I'm also using phpmotion video script and not activations arrive to legit emails apart from free email accounts.

Any ideas what is wrong as it's doing my head in?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...