X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirkus
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.6.x

New User Group can't view any forum

I've created a new user group and want them to have access to all public forums plus 1 add'l "hidden" forum.

When I log in as a member of this new user group I receive the following:

...you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    I've checked and double checked permissions for this user group and they appear to be correct.
  • glennybee
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.7.x

When you create the usergroup, choose an existing usergroup to base the permissions on, i.e. Registered.

Create Usergroup Based off of Usergroup will be at the top of the page.

Then check the Forum Permissions section under the Usergroup menu.

Comment

• Kirkus
      • Mar 2007
      • 3.6.x

I've done that. I've tried several different Usergroups to base the new one off of, even "Base forum permissions off Usergroup", but continue to have this problem.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Here is everything related to permissions:

Check the overall Usergroup permissions:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup

And the Forum permissions for each forum and Usergroup:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Main Usergroup Permissions take precedence unless you override them with specific Forum/Usergroup permissions.

When multiple usergroups are involved, a 'Yes' permission always overides a 'No' permission if 'Allow Users to have Member Groups ' is set to 'Yes' for the Primary group. Same goes for a larger quota.

Note, the primary group must have 'Allow Users to have Member Groups' to 'Yes'. Otherwise the secondary settings are not applicable.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kirkus
          • Mar 2007
          • 3.6.x

Thank you for trying to help me with this.

I've checked those areas that deal with permissions, and my board doesn't use "Member Groups".

I have an alias I use for testing. When this alias is a member of the Registered User group, I have access to everything I should. I just created a new usergroup called "Staff". I based this new usergroup and based forum permissions off of "Registered Users".

When I change my alias' group from Registered to Staff, I would think I would have identical permissions. However, I continue to receive that notice and can't access anything.

I haven't made a new usergroup since upgrading from 3.6 to 3.7 (currently 3.7.3) and I just recently moved from a VPS to a dedicated server.

I've attached a screenshot of the new Staff usergroup permissions.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Assuming you have checked all the relevant permissions, then this has to be due to a modification. To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kirkus
              • Mar 2007
              • 3.6.x

Thank you, Steve.

I'll do this this weekend. I really appreciate your help.

Comment

• Kirkus
                • Mar 2007
                • 3.6.x

Steve,

Would an upgrade to 3.7.4 then 3.7.4PL1 do the same thing? If so, I'll just kill 2 birds and bring my forum current.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

3.7.4 is not available. It was replaced by 3.7.4 Patch Level 1. Just download and upgrade to 3.7.4 Patch Level 1.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Kirkus
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Steve,

I'm a little confused then. Wayne Luke posted the following:

Patch Level releases can only be applied to the version of vBulletin that they were created for. If you are not using vBulletin 3.7.4, you will need to upgrade before you can apply this patch to your forums. Applying Patch Level releases to previous version of vBulletin is not supported and can cause problems when upgrading in the future.
                    In this thread:

Comment

• Kirkus
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Sorry. My version is still 3.7. I misunderstood.

Thanks for your help, Steve.
                      Last edited by Kirkus; Sat 13 Dec '08, 1:36pm.

Comment

• Kirkus
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 3.6.x

Hi Steve,

After disabling all plugins, the problem was NOT there. I was able to log in as a member of the new group and saw all forums that I should.

So, I assume this is being caused by a conflict with a non-vBulletin addition that I have installed. Right?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Yes, that is an indication that this is caused by an add-on.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Kirkus
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Thank you so much, Steve, for leading me down the right path. The support is very much appreciated.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

You're welcome.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...