X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cindyl10
    • Oct 2008
    • 3.7.x

question about avatars

I'm very new to this and I have a very basic question I'm sure. I have all my avatars sorted into various folders so they're easy to find. Is there anyway that I can upload the folders with the avs in them so that when people go to choose an avatar, instead of just seeing an endless number of avs to choose from, they see folders that they could click on so that they could choose from just those in the subject area they're interested in?

In other words, I have folders such as: guys; gals; cartoons; christian; flowers; humor; etc. Rather then going through all the avatars the person would go into their user cp to change their avatar and see the folder names, choose the one they're interested in and then they would only have to go through the avs in that folder rather then through all of them. See what I mean?

Can that be done? If so, could someone explain to me how to do it? Thank you very much!
  • Nick
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.8.x

You can do this using avatar categories.
    AdminCP -> Avatars -> Add New Avatar Category
    Regards,
    Nick

Comment

• Cindyl10
      • Oct 2008
      • 3.7.x

I don't have a "add new avatar category"; I have "add new avatar" and "avatar manager" and "upload avatar" and "user picture storage type". So how do I add the new category? (told you I was new at this lol)

Comment

• Nick
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Cindyl10
        I don't have a "add new avatar category"; I have "add new avatar" and "avatar manager" and "upload avatar" and "user picture storage type". So how do I add the new category? (told you I was new at this lol)
        If you look at the bottom of the main frame (not the left/side column), there is "[Add New Avatar Category]"
        Regards,
        Nick

Comment

• Cindyl10
          • Oct 2008
          • 3.7.x

ok great! I see it! Thanks! So I add the catagories giving them the same name as my folders and then add the appropriate avatars to that catagory right?

Comment

• Nick
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

Correct.
            Regards,
            Nick

Comment

• Cindyl10
              • Oct 2008
              • 3.7.x

Thanks! Ok, here goes nothing, LOL

Comment

• Cindyl10
                • Oct 2008
                • 3.7.x

I think I might be messing up. I added all the catagories like you said to do. Now I'm uploading all my folders with the avatars in them via my FTP program into the file that says "avatars". Is that the right place for them to be? Or have I missed something?

Comment

• Jinovich
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 3.5.x

essentially you can upload them anywhere however for organisation its best you upload them to the folder /images/avatars/

If you go to AdminCp -> Avatars -> Add New Avatars

then under the "add multiple section"

Select the category you want to add avatars to and then add the folder path to the file path section.

EG

Lets these folders were in "images/avatars/"

Pets/
                  Cars/
                  Celebs/

And you have created the categories "Pets", "Cars" and "Celebrities"

then when uploading multiple avatas you would select "Pets" and change the file path to "images/avatars/pets" and then click "add avatars"

Comment

• Cindyl10
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Jinovich
                    essentially you can upload them anywhere however for organisation its best you upload them to the folder /images/avatars/

If you go to AdminCp -> Avatars -> Add New Avatars

then under the "add multiple section"

Select the category you want to add avatars to and then add the folder path to the file path section.

EG

Lets these folders were in "images/avatars/"

Pets/
                    Cars/
                    Celebs/

And you have created the categories "Pets", "Cars" and "Celebrities"

then when uploading multiple avatas you would select "Pets" and change the file path to "images/avatars/pets" and then click "add avatars"
                    Ok, that's exactly where I uploaded all my folders too. I'm sorry, I just forgot to post the images part.

Ok, I think I understand now.. so I don't have to add every individual avatar that's in the folders, all I have to do is tell it to upload "pets" like you said in your example, and when I do that and click add avatars, it will add all the avatars that are in that folder? That would sure make it easier!

I'm sorry I'm so dumb about this stuff, but I've just never had to do anything like this before... I really appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Comment

• Jinovich
                      • Feb 2005
                      • 3.5.x

#

Yeah that should do the job for you and glad I could help. This is one reason why vB is so special, the support.

Comment

• Cindyl10
                        • Oct 2008
                        • 3.7.x

thank you! It's working just great, even for a novice like me!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...