Can only supermods use the "delete threads/post as spam" option?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgec
    • Jun 2002

Can only supermods use the "delete threads/post as spam" option?

Hi:
    Just a question- does the "Delete threads or posts as spam" option basically only work forum wide for supermods? I have mods for individual categories that complain that when they use these options, they are limited to deleting only the threads in their respective categories, negating their usefulness unless one is a supermod.

Just wondering, is there somehow a way to give local mods the ability to use the "delete threads/posts as spam" options unrestricted?

Thanks,
    - JavaScript Kit | CSS Drive | CodingForums.com | CodeTricks.com
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Regular mods should have that ability if they have permission to both delete and ban:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Show All Moderators -> [Edit Permissions]

Comment

• georgec
      • Jun 2002

Hi:
      Yep, I've checked, and all mods have:

Can Ban Users: enabled
      Can Delete Posts: enabled
      Can Mass-Prune Threads: enabled

However, mods for a specific category are still complaining that when they use the "Delete threads as spam" option on multiple threads- some that are in a different category from which they moderate- only the one(s) in the category gets deleted.

Anything else I might have missed in the permissions settings?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

That is normal since they only have moderator powers in that specific category.

Comment

• georgec
          • Jun 2002

Ah, so per my original question:

Just a question- does the "Delete threads or posts as spam" option basically only work forum wide for supermods?
          Is there no way for non supermods to be able to use the "delete spam" options as they are intended for- quickly removing all spam posts by a spammer? Rarely do spammers just post in one forum category, and right now when a mod goes to delete that post using the "delete as spam" options, there are always some posts left behind that he has to then kick it up to a supermod to remove. Seems to defeat the purpose of the feature if at the end supermods still have to be involved in taking care of the mess a spammer has created.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Correct. Regular mods are limited to their respective forums, unlike super mods.

Comment

• sim
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
              Correct. Regular mods are limited to their respective forums, unlike super mods.
              Sorry to bump this old thread ... but it is directly relevant to my question:

We have the "Can Moderate All Forums (is Super Moderator)" permission turned on for our moderators - we didn't want to promote them to real supermods, but we still wanted them to be able to delete/move posts in all forums.

However, it seems that the moderators are still limited by the "delete posts as spam" only being limited to forums they are explicitly set as moderators in.

Is this possibly a bug? Shouldn't moderators be able to delete posts as spam in all forums if they have the "Can Moderate All Forums (is Super Moderator)" permission enabled?

Comment

• Andreas
                • Feb 2004

We have the "Can Moderate All Forums (is Super Moderator)" permission turned on for our moderators - we didn't want to promote them to real supermods
                Turning this option on does make them supermods (that's what the option is for) :-)

However, it seems that the moderators are still limited by the "delete posts as spam" only being limited to forums they are explicitly set as moderators in.
                If their super moderator permissions don't allow them to mass-delete posts anywhere this would be the designed behaviour.

Shouldn't moderators be able to delete posts as spam in all forums if they have the "Can Moderate All Forums (is Super Moderator)" permission enabled?
                Yes, they should be able to do so if they have the appropriate Super-Moderator permissions (eg. Can Mass-Prune Threads, Cen Delete Posts).

Comment

• sim
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Andreas
                  Turning this option on does make them supermods (that's what the option is for) :-)
                  Ahh ... well, there are other permissions I set differently between the two groups, so it achieves what I need

Originally posted by Andreas
                  If their super moderator permissions don't allow them to mass-delete posts anywhere this would be the designed behaviour.

Yes, they should be able to do so if they have the appropriate Super-Moderator permissions (eg. Can Mass-Prune Threads, Cen Delete Posts).
                  Ahh - I took "Can Mass-Prune Threads" to mean actually removing threads as opposed to individual posts within a thread ... kind of like how "Can Delete Own Posts" and "Can Delete Own Threads" are separate permissions.

It might be worth making the description and help for "Can Mass-Prune Threads" a little more complete to cover this requirement perhaps?

Anyway - thanks for the quick response, I've verified it now works when I enable that permission.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...