X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youjoomla
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.6.x

To complicated to upgrade

I have been using several cms, and boards , usually you get to know what the bug was and how was it fixed but Vbull is patching files every few weeks and all you get is upload folder that is it .

With 20000 users you do understand that it is scary just to think about upgrading. Specially upgrading admin files since you instructs us to change default admin folders names and files on first install. I am getting ready to publish the board since 4 months and every time I decide to do it there are 10 patches since .

Don't know what to say except that the forum is expensive enough , we can use it without trouble on a weekly basis since new upgrade will be out again and could mess up your files. Since this is a paying product we do expect bit more stability than just few weeks.

So please is there any way just to say what files to patch, not everyone is a newbie in programing . Some support for advanced users with more instruction would be more pleasant than scary upload folder.

Thank you
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Patching files is easier than simply uploading the new files provided and running install/upgrade.php? Security patches don't even require you to run upgrade.php, just replace the files. The only file that you need to rename and edit is config.php and that is only for the initial installation, you should not have to edit it on upgrading or installing a security patch.

We recommend that you do not edit the files in anyway as it will throw off the hashes provided when you download the files.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• youjoomla
      • Apr 2008
      • 3.6.x

what I meant editing is , admincp and modscp folder ,

so you say I should just transfer the upload folder from the patch and that is it?

this is my version

3.7.2 Patch Level 1.

can I just transfer the

vb_patch373_mylicense.zip upload folder without running any scripts and change admincp and modscp to my existing ones ?

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by youjoomla
        what I meant editing is , admincp and modscp folder ,

so you say I should just transfer the upload folder from the patch and that is it?

this is my version

3.7.2 Patch Level 1.

can I just transfer the

vb_patch373_mylicense.zip upload folder without running any scripts and change admincp and modscp to my existing ones ?
        That patch is for 3.7.3,you do have 3.7.2 with patch level1.
        I believe that you should upgrade to 3.7.3 P1

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• peterska2
          • Oct 2003
          • 3.7.x

You cannot apply the 3.7.3 patch to 3.7.2. You need to perform a full upgrade by downloading the full package from the members area, overwriting all files except config.php, and running install/upgrade.php

Comment

• youjoomla
            • Apr 2008
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
            You cannot apply the 3.7.3 patch to 3.7.2. You need to perform a full upgrade by downloading the full package from the members area, overwriting all files except config.php, and running install/upgrade.php

Thank you , that is exactly what I was talking about,
            purchased it when it was 3.6.9 April 1st 08 , 8 upgrades since and every one of them discovered more vulnerability. Why do you name it stable at all than?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...