• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riderbook
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.5.x

Attachment storage type ?

Attachment storage type ?
    I have currently attachments been stored in database.
    Does this make the db file very big while taking back up ?

In storage type I see the following:
    Attachments are currently being stored in the database Action Move Items from Database into File System
    so can I move them into a directory ?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

It will only make the database a lot bigger if you have a lot of attachments.

In general, if you are a small site without a lot of attachments, having the attachments in the database is fine. But, some hosts limit the amount of database 'space' and so in that case, you will want to move them out of the database. Also, if your site is busy, it is better to have them out of the database. The downside is that your attachments will no longer get backedup when you backup your database - you must do a file backup also.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• riderbook
      • Oct 2006
      • 3.5.x

ya individual folders backing up is far easier

Comment

• riderbook
        • Oct 2006
        • 3.5.x

I have moved the attachment folder to a specified directory. Currently, there are no attachments as of yet, so is there still a need to run the optimize table for attachments ?
        O attachments on database and file system is the msg displayed earlier before finalizing

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by riderbook
          I have moved the attachment folder to a specified directory. Currently, there are no attachments as of yet, so is there still a need to run the optimize table for attachments ?
          O attachments on database and file system is the msg displayed earlier before finalizing
          If you just moved the attachments out of the database, you should run the optimize on the attachments table. I don't know that it will make a difference in your case, but it shouldn't hurt either.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• riderbook
            • Oct 2006
            • 3.5.x

ya just for precaution had run the optimization of tables

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...