X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevo
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

3.7.3 config.php file type NEW

According to the upgrade instructions shipped with 3.7.3 there is a file config.php.new. in the includes folder.

However the file in the includes folder is just config.php and not config.php.new but when you look at the properties it says "File type NEW" and when you add the details and save it still says file type "NEW" and not a "php" file.

So I'm worried that if I load it it will not be recognised as a php file.

In any event the instructions shipped with 3.7.3 are not consistent with the contents of the 3.7.3 product and this confusion/inconsistency should be remedied.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I think it must be some setting on your computer which has it showing the way it is. I just downloaded 3.7.3 this morning and the file was called config.php.new. What OS are you running?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Diggazz
      • Mar 2005

Just upload it and in your ftp client use the rename command and delete the .NEW

With the .NEW extension the name becomes config.php without the .new extension the name is just config

Hope this explains it a bit

Comment

• SNN
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Diggazz
        Just upload it and in your ftp client use the rename command and delete the .NEW

With the .NEW extension the name becomes config.php without the .new extension the name is just config

Hope this explains it a bit
        Do NOT do this unless you want to reconfigure the config.php file.
        Just ignore the config.php.new and remove it from your new vBulletin download. If this were a major release (3.8+) then you might not want to ignore it, but besides that, in minor versions it is not needed to upgrade.

Comment

• n.sinha.p
          • Aug 2008
          • 3.7.x

It's just the windows settings that is playing with you. To resolve, follow these:
          1. Open any folder or explorer window
          2. Go to "Tools" > "Folder Options..."
          3. Click on "View" tab
          4. Uncheck the checkbox against "Hide extensions for known file types"
          5. Click "OK" & refresh the folder.

Now you would be able to see config.php.new file. Remove .new from extension and play with it as you like.

Comment

• Diggazz
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SNN
            Do NOT do this unless you want to reconfigure the config.php file.
            Just ignore the config.php.new and remove it from your new vBulletin download. If this were a major release (3.8+) then you might not want to ignore it, but besides that, in minor versions it is not needed to upgrade.
            This is incorrect you should always replace all files unless its a PL, its what the instructions tell you to do

You stated you filled out the info then just do as i said in my previous post

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Diggazz
              This is incorrect you should always replace all files unless its a PL, its what the instructions tell you to do

You stated you filled out the info then just do as i said in my previous post
              Yes, all files, of which there is no config.php file, there is however a config.php.new.

I'll see what I can do about making sure the update doc included refrences this.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

The config.php file already on the server (if you are upgrading) has your database details.

Since you always make a backup prior to upgrading, you can replace the config.php with config.php(.new) from the latest version. And write over the variable names from the backed up config.php.

Just uploading an unedited config.php will result in the upgrade not working of course since it is missing the specifics such as table prefix (if set) and the database details.

Comment

• Stevo
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Thanks guys/gals for all the help. You are the best!!!!

I just did the upgrade to 3.7.3 and it went smooth as silk

Really cool thank you vB

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Glad to have helped. Enjoy your new version!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...