• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ~kev~
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.8.x

User IP addres is not valid

VBulletin version: 3.7.2 pl1

On my forum, a certain members profile, VBulletin is reporting their IP address as 63.167.255.152 - This is not a valid IP address,

63.167.255 <---- the .255 is the broadcast address. Valid IP addresses are from 1 - 254, 0 is the network range and 255 is the broadcast.

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/pc_conn/tcpip/intro/intro7.html

0 and 255 have special meanings. 0 is reserved for machines that don't know their address. In certain circumstances it is possible for a machine not to know the number of the network it is on, or even its own host address. For example, 0.0.0.23 would be a machine that knew it was host number 23, but didn't know on what network.

255 is used for "broadcast". A broadcast is a message that you want every system on the network to see. Broadcasts are used in some situations where you don't know who to talk to.
    Why is VBulletin reporting the IP address this way? This is a problem member that I want to ban on the server level, but Cpanel is rejecting the IP address because it is not a valid address.
    survival gear forum
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

It's reporting it because that is what the server is reporting. vB does not independently make up IP addresses.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ~kev~
      • Mar 2007
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      It's reporting it because that is what the server is reporting. vB does not independently make up IP addresses.

By "server" do you mean the server operating system, Linux?

So this is something I need to talk to my hosting company about?
      survival gear forum

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

The server that your vB is running on.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

You might want to read up on IP Spoofing. Or just read up on how to hide your IP.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Cool Matty
            • Jul 2006
            • 3.7.x

is a valid IP, it is not a broadcast IP. A broadcast IP ENDS in .255, this is not the same.

Also, your IP address can have 0 in it, but the IP cannot begin or end with 0.

Consider:

192.168.0.1 (A very popular private network IP address)
            10.0.0.1 (another popular private network IP address)

10.0.255.1 is valid, also. It's when you have:

10.0.0.255 that it is invalid.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...