Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crazy8s
    • Apr 2008

Hackers, Safety and Back Up

I’ve been on some forums that have been hacked to death and some just ended up shutting down. Others are still going but, lost a great deal of really good dialogue.

I pay someone to use their server (Network Solutions) and was just wandering how safe everything was on my forum. Should I keep everything backed up? If so, what would be the most efficient way to do that?
  • David Grove
    • Apr 2008
    • 5.5.x

Run the vb_backup.sh script (in the vBulletin download) nightly via a cron job, and ftp it to another server or download it to your computer.
    ~~~~~

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

To add to what sockwater suggested... also make sure your files are backed up. Keep a local copy of all your vbulletin files. And, if you are storing your attachments/avatars/profile pics in the file system, you need to make sure those are backed up also (if they are in the database, then just backing up the database will back them up also).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Jason Buchanan
        • May 2008

I have looked for this file you spoke of sockwater but cannot locate it for the life of me.

*okay I have located it how do you run that?

Comment

• David Grove
          • Apr 2008
          • 5.5.x

You need to upload it to your server and either run it manually from an ssh session or run it automatically by creating a cron job.
          ~~~~~

Comment

• Jason Buchanan
            • May 2008

Thanks for the reply, but please over look my silliness when I ask this. I have looked a several cron jobs and noticed that they all have .php in the file path. Example:

Code:
            ./includes/cron/dailycleanup.php
            So if I were to set this up would it be this file path?

Code:
            ./includes/cron/vb_backup.sh
            Any help is appreciated. My host doesn't allow SSH or Telnet in shared server accounts.

Comment

• David Grove
              • Apr 2008
              • 5.5.x

The vb_backup.sh script is not meant to be run from vBulletin's scheduled tasks. It is meant to be run from a true cron job on your server. Do you have permission to set up cron jobs? Some shared server hosts allow them.

If you can set up a cron job, here's the command to run:
              Code:
              /your/path/to/vb_backup.sh backup
              If you can't set up a cron job, look into this addon, it works well and I've used it before.
              ~~~~~

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

That one is good, but I actually prefer this one - Automatic Database Back-up

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• David Grove
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 5.5.x

May I ask why? (Just trying to avoid registering on that site to download it.)
                  ~~~~~

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sockwater
                    May I ask why? (Just trying to avoid registering on that site to download it.)
                    It's just a real simple one to setup. I seem to recall that for Paul's, you need to add three files to your forum and you need to edit one of them as your config. The one I linked to is just one file and you can edit your config in your vboptions.

(It's been a while since I installed that, but I used to use Paul's, which is actually an upgrade of an old one, but then someone linked me to the one I currently use and it was just much simpler to set up.)

Comment

• David Grove
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 5.5.x

Thanks Lynne.
                      ~~~~~

Comment

• Crazy8s
                        • Apr 2008

Thanks guys...

It took me a while but, thanks.

Comment

• Jason Buchanan
                          • May 2008

Yeah I have tried Pauls, but couldn't get it to work. The one you listed Lynne is for 3.6.0, I am running 3.7 . I don't think it will work.

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Jason Buchanan
                            Yeah I have tried Pauls, but couldn't get it to work. The one you listed Lynne is for 3.6.0, I am running 3.7 . I don't think it will work.
                            It's working fine on my two 3.7 boards. If you look at the code, you'll see there is nothing in it that will break a 3.7 board.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...