X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d-wiz
    • Jun 2008
    • 3.7.x

Moving your forum

I need a front page for my site so I would like to move vbulletin to www.mywebsite.com/forum. Right now vBulletin is located at the root (www.mywebsite.com) and since I have set it up just the way I like it I would prefer not to do it all over.

I was thinking I'd try out http://tandemserver.org/Default.aspx as CMS and link to www.mywebsite.com/forum is there anything else I should consider when linking the two systems?

How do I move vBulletin?

I'm fairly new at this so any help would be much appreciated
  • q22inc
    • Mar 2007

Great question.

I'm thinking of adding a mainsite down the road as well, this information would really help me too.

Comment

• q22inc
      • Mar 2007

Sidenote: If you're using Hostgator as your host, I believe they will do it for you.

I just moved my forum from one URL to another, and they did it for me.

Comment

• Nick
        • Feb 2008
        • 3.8.x

You can simply move all of the vBulletin files and directories from the root into a new directory named "forum" or "forums" (or whatever you prefer).

Then you need to change this setting to reflect this change:
        AdminCP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum URL

Additionally, you may wish to create a 301 redirect via .htaccess to redirect all previous links to their new location.

These links may help:

Learn the in's and out's of 301 URL Redirection via code and htaccess redirects.

Regards,
        Nick

Comment

• d-wiz
          • Jun 2008
          • 3.7.x

Thank you.

I'm thinking a clean install might be a better option is it possible to save my forums and post so that I can easily upload them with the new install?

Can I just delete everything with my ftp client?

Comment

• Nick
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

You don't need to do a fresh install if you are wanting to keep your posts and threads.

Simply move the files and change the option.
            Regards,
            Nick

Comment