• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VikesRule
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

Users keep getting logged out

Hello,

I have encountered a problem on my board where registered members continue to get logged out when viewing the forums. It seems to happen when they click to go on a particular forum, they are then logged out and have to log in again. I, personally, have not encountered the problem at all but a few of my members say it keeps happening. They are clicking the "remember me" check box, and it's happening in IE and FireFox so it's not just a browser problem. Are there any settings I could look at to help combat this problem? Is there certain things I could do to make it better? Thanks for any input.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This is probably a cookie domain/path issue. To fix this, upload the tools.php script in the 'do_not_upload' folder of the vB zip file to your Admin CP directory and run it from your browser. Use this to reset the cookie domain and path back to the defaults. And then leave your cookie domain and path at the default settings. There is no reason to change these. If you need to specify a unique cookie, use the cookie prefix setting in config.php instead.

If that still have this problem after that and they are clicking on 'Remember me' then this means they are either blocking cookies, or you have installed a modification that is causing this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• VikesRule
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.6.x

I looked at my "Cookies and HTTP Header Options" in the ACP and I saw this setting:
      Path to Save Cookies
      The path to which the cookie is saved. If you run more than one forum on the same domain, it will be necessary to set this to the individual directories of the forums. Otherwise, just leave it as / .

Suggested valid values for Cookie Path are available in the drop-down menu opposite. If you have a good reason to want a different setting, check the checkbox and enter the desired value in the box provided.

Please note that your path should always end in a forward-slash; for example '/forums/', '/vbulletin/' etc.

Entering an invalid setting can leave you unable to login to your forum.
      Now, my forum link is setup like http://www.mydomain.com/forums , so if you just go to www.mydomain.com you are at my website (note those are just example links not my actual ones), you have to have the "/forums" to get to the message board itself. However, for that setting, right now I have it as simply the forward slash "/" , another of the "suggested settings" is "/forums/". Should I set it to "/forums/" instead of "/"? Would that help at all in this case?

ETA: I do only have one forum on this domain, for what it's worth.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

As I said you should leave those at the defaults.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...