Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g0dfather
    • May 2008

Registration Problems

It has been brought to my attention that when someone clicks that they agree to the rules, this funny message pops up:

vBulletin Message You have left a required field blank.

Not allowing new members to register.

How do I fix this?
    Attached Files
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That means you have a required profile field that they need to fill out.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• g0dfather
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      That means you have a required profile field that they need to fill out.
      But it says it right after you click on "I Agree To These Terms".

It doesn't give you a chance to fill anything out.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Then you have a modification that is causing this.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Now make this the default style and try again:

Admin Control Panel -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Default Style

Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• g0dfather
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Then you have a modification that is causing this.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Now make this the default style and try again:

Admin Control Panel -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Default Style

Do you have the same problem?
          I have found a file that says, "
          File does not contain expected contentsWhat exactly do I do with the file?

Comment

• g0dfather
            • May 2008

Okay, I have done all of this and I am still getting the same error.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Fill out a support ticket at:

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• xlegends
                • Aug 2004
                • 4.2.x

I had the same problem. I disabled ALL plugins and the error stopped. After trouble shooting disabling one by one, the culprit was this hack addon found at .org..

Stop the Registration Bots 1.0.3
                Stops bots from registering by time check and random hidden fields on the forum rules and register form pages.

Comment

• l SKN l CHRIS
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by xlegends
                  I had the same problem. I disabled ALL plugins and the error stopped. After trouble shooting disabling one by one, the culprit was this hack addon found at .org..

Stops bots from registering by time check and random hidden fields on the forum rules and register form pages.
                  Wow thank you, that mod was doing the same thing to my forum

Comment

• xlegends
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 4.2.x

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS

No problem.

Comment

• JonUrban
                      • Jul 2003

I had the same problem after upgrading to vb 3.8. Once I deleted the hack, it was fine.

THANKS!

Comment

• Raikiri
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 3.7.x

Thanks a lot man, had this problem too!

Comment

• Ohiosweetheart
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Unfortunately, this is the case with another site, as well. I had to disable the same mod in order for registrations to work.

Odd.
                          Peggy
                          ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

• noppid
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS
                            Originally posted by JonUrban
                            I had the same problem after upgrading to vb 3.8. Once I deleted the hack, it was fine.

THANKS!
                            Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart
                            Unfortunately, this is the case with another site, as well. I had to disable the same mod in order for registrations to work.

Odd.
                            The above problems have been traced to improperly installing Stop The Registration Bots, Installing new styles and not adding the STB edits to new active styles and reverting templates during vBulletin upgrades and not re-applying the STB template edits.

We do not have control over end user errors. Sorry for the inconvenience. The Readme included with the mod has exhaustively detailed instructions which could be referenced in the event of problems. There is support available on vb.org and my forum.

When I was contacted the issues were sorted out in minutes. If you hack, you need to keep records and follow up during upgrades. We can't do that for you.
                            Computer Help Forum
                            An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...