Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atxtraveler
    • Jul 2008

Login Problem - IE isolated, possible cookie related

I have several users who can not stay consistently logged in to the system, in between page refreshes and between closing the browser and re-opening it. I set the cookies to not expire, and they are set for my domain home path (not /forum). This problem only occurs on IE users, not on FF at all. Any advice?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

The user will be automatically logged out if they are inactive for longer than the timeout:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Session Timeout

To resolve this problem you can either increase the timeout or tell your users to check the Remember Me box when they login. That will automatically log them back in when they timeout.

Also make sure your cookie path and domain are default:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options

The path should be "/" and the domain should be blank. Or also try using a cookie domain like this (which uses your domain name, including the beginning dot):

.domain.com

That will make it so your forum cookies work from any subdomain of your domain, with or without "www".

Also, some portals and other addons will modify the login form to post to a full URL which can cause these kinds of problems because the login cookie is specific to one host (e.g. the cookie is written to www.domain.com when you are using domain.com). In that case you need to either disable the offending addon or make sure you are using the same host as the login form.

Comment

• atxtraveler
      • Jul 2008

All of that is configured correctly, and I have the timeout set to 99999 to test... still having the issue, only with IE.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Since it only happens with IE it might be a browser setting. Make sure cookies are enabled in your IE browser.

Comment

• RobParker
          • Nov 2006

I'm having the same problem since upgrading to 3.7

It only happens in IE and it doesn't happen to everyone.

Our cookie domains are set to / and blank.

Cookies are enabled in IE and work fine on other sites. I've also added my website to the "allowed" sites as well as lowering the security settings.

No idea what to try next but lots of people seem to have the same problem...?

Comment

• peterska2
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.7.x

Please start your own thread for your issue. Thank you.

Comment

• atxtraveler
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
              Since it only happens with IE it might be a browser setting. Make sure cookies are enabled in your IE browser.
              Done, several times. The problem appears to be deeper than that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...