X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TylerK10
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.8.x

vBulletin to vBulletin

I want to move my own forum to a different host. The forum is running vBulletin 3.6.1 and will most likely be like that for the import. I want to keep the members, threads, and posts. I don't want the skins, settings, hacks, or forum layout.

What are the basic steps for what I am trying to do? Both forums may have the latest version of vB when I do it, but if not, the source forum will have 3.6.1 like I already said.

I basically just want my members, threads, and posts on a brand new forum on a different host.

My assumption is that I would use ImpEx to do this, but if I don't need to since I only want the statistics, how would I go about doing it? And if I do need ImpEx, what would I do differently than if I was moving an entire phpBB forum to vBulletin for example?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

This is not how you should move servers, nor is it recomended ore required.

You should backup your database and restore it to your new webhost.

Comment

• TylerK10
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.8.x

Is there a way I can have that done for me?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Sorry, that is not one of the services we provide.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TylerK10
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.8.x

Do I need to make my username different on the new forum than it is on the source forum?

And will I keep my user ID and join date or will that get changed?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

This will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TylerK10
              • Aug 2006
              • 3.8.x

Will the old forum having vBulletin 3.6.1 and the new one having the latest version be a problem? The new one also has vBSEO. Should I disable it?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Then biggest issue will be the IDs changing. I have no idea what affect vBSEO will have on this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Abomination
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  This will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.
                  If this forum were moved to a different server at the same host would the following link would be broken?

If this forum were moved to a different server at a different host would the following link would be broken?

If those links break it seems choosing a host is very important.

Originally posted by Zachery

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/moving_servers

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

The domain is not the issue. Using Impex to do this will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Abomination
                      • Jul 2008

I appreciate your response.

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      The domain is not the issue. Using Impex to do this will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.
                      Are you saying some or all of those issues can be alleviated by using the following recommended method?

At this moment I'm a little beyond worried.

Originally posted by Zachery

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/moving_servers

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

No, none of those issue can be alleviated if you use Impex.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• TylerK10
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 3.8.x

I do not plan on using ImpEx. The reason I posted in this forum is because I originally thought that is what I had to do.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Sorry, I misunderstood. Then what is your plan and question?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• TylerK10
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 3.8.x

All I want to do is move the posts and members from my old forum onto my new forum that is on a different server.

I found someone on vBorg that will do this for me. So unless something comes up I have found my solution.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...