Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpierce
    • Jun 2008

Paid subscription question

I have a subscription set up for recurring payments through paypal. Everything works fine as far as them using paypal and paypal notifying me of the payments. However, I want to know if I can have the users that pay get automatically subscribed and have their usergroup automatically changed.
    In other words, when I get an email from paypal that the user has payed, I have to manually go to subcription manager, add the user to the subscription and change their user group manually.
  • kpierce
    • Jun 2008

I found this on another thread "Make sure your forum directory is not behind a htaccess login because that will prevent paypal from accessing the callback URL." How to I disable htaccess login for my forum directory. I'm using SiteGround.
    This looks like it is the problem because I recently recieved this email from paypal:
    Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

www.thegapspot.com/payment_gateway.php?method=paypal

Comment

• kpierce
      • Jun 2008

OK, I verified that my forum directory is not behind a htaccess. However, I did realize that the domain I use (thegapspot.com) for my site is a forward so I changed the paypal ipn url to point to the actual domain. Hopefully that's the problem. Any feedback would be apprecaited.

Comment

• kpierce
        • Jun 2008

Changed the domain, checked everthing, still not working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by kpierce
          I have a subscription set up for recurring payments through paypal. Everything works fine as far as them using paypal and paypal notifying me of the payments. However, I want to know if I can have the users that pay get automatically subscribed and have their usergroup automatically changed.
          In other words, when I get an email from paypal that the user has payed, I have to manually go to subcription manager, add the user to the subscription and change their user group manually.
          This is the way it works by default. Do you have any add-ons installed?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kpierce
            • Jun 2008

Just iTrader but this wasn't working before I installed iTrader. I'm still getting this from PayPal: Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

www.cascadehomeinspections.biz/payment_gateway.php?method=paypal
            Last edited by kpierce; Sat 5 Jul '08, 2:02pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

PayPal subscriptions do work fine in the default vB. I've been using them for over a year.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Make this your default syle:

Admin Control Panel -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Default Style

Can you confirm you have the same problem? If so, then this has to be from your subscription settings or problems between your server and PayPal.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kpierce
                • Jun 2008

Thanks. I'll try that. Also, you mentioned if I still have the problem it could be in my subscription settings. What specific setting would allow the payments and subscriptions to work perfectly fine but not allow PayPal to use IPNs? I'd be very dissappointed with my hosting service (SiteGround) if it was a problem between them and PayPal because they heavily advertise that their service is the best to use with vBulletin.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Honestly I thought IPNs were no longer required - at least from the vB end. I just have my PayPal Email and PayPal Primary Account Email setup and it works fine.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kpierce
                    • Jun 2008

Yeah, I've tried everything. I'll have to contact PayPal/SiteGround and see what they can find.

Comment

• kpierce
                      • Jun 2008

PayPal can't figure out the problem. When they put the ipn url in manually it seems to work fine. They said that they would "hard code" the ipn url into the program. Anyone every done or heard of this?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...