X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoberNClean
    • Sep 2007
    • 3.8.x

Spam All The Time

I installed a new vbulletin license that I bought not long ago. I have had issues with it since I have boughten it. Not happy

Had issues with the software at first. Got that straightened out. Now I keep getting users registering everyday. All registers are spam. gmail this gmail that all have the same damn birthday January 1, 1980

All the setting are set for the human verification and I have it even set for the type one and that isn't solving crap. It is a brand new license, new site, and I will tell ya it isn't worth the money that I paid for it.

I have talked to quite a few vbulletin users and the reason so many came to vbulletin was because at first it was a good thing. Now we have more updates on vbulletin than on most forums and I know many that are running the phpbb3 and have not had the issues about all the spam registering. I am just upset. I want to know how long will this keep going on? Can I request a refund or is it too late now? I am sure I have had the bought since the 12th of April which is just over two months, but I tell ya I wish I would have never bought it. I have one already and I don't have these issues on that one? Same software right?

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Human verification will not stop humans from registering and turing over their accounts to spambots.

Please see this: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Andy
      • Jan 2002
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by SoberNClean
      I installed a new vbulletin license that I bought not long ago. I have had issues with it since I have boughten it. Not happy
      Remove the captcha and use a unique Question and Answer.

Comment

• Tidal Wave
        • Mar 2008
        • 3.6.x

Also if they all have the same IP try banning it.

Comment

• SoberNClean
          • Sep 2007
          • 3.8.x

Yesterday I deleted the forums at the site www.sobreodaat.com/forums you were not able to even get anything to show up because of me deleting the folder. Now I did go ahead just now and put it back up and running and when I logged on I had a new member from the same situation. Now how would they even be able to register if the forums were not even there. And no they were not there when I deleted the folder. I am really baffled here I have never had a issue such as this and if they are able to even register without the forums being on line how do you correct that?

Comment

• texterted
            • Mar 2008
            • 3.8.x

I've just banned their email domains... it may catch a few legitimate future users but I don't see a valid alternative. I've only got a small forum so I've turned on moderation for new members too.

It's a shame that I've only had these spammers since moving to the vbulletin software though.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

FWIW I have absolutely no problems with the default vB imaged verifications.

One thing to keep in mind is that note of these will stop as human from registering and then turning over the spamming to a spam bot. If fact I have heard of people being paid a few dollars a day to do nothing but register on as many sites as possible and turn those accounts over to spammers.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...