• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjh411
    • May 2007
    • 3.7.x

attachment permissions by usergroup

Hi,

By default I have set "Moderate Attachments" to "yes" in Forum Manager, however I would like a custom usergroup to be allowed to post attachments without moderation.

Is this possible, and if so how?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I don't think you can override the default Forum setting. You would have to change each of the Usergroup permissions for that forum.

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kjh411
      • May 2007
      • 3.7.x

Sorry, replied to wrong thread :/

Comment

• kjh411
        • May 2007
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        I don't think you can override the default Forum setting. You would have to change each of the Usergroup permissions for that forum.

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions
        Okay, but how do I change the permissions for a usergroup so that their attachments do not require moderation? (assuming the forum default is to moderate attachments)

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

If you set the forum default to moderate, then that overrides any usergroup settings. The way to do this is to reset the forum default then set each usergroup permissions for that forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kjh411
            • May 2007
            • 3.7.x

Thanks Steve.

I must be missing something because I can't see a way to set the attachment moderation in the usergroup settings for a forum.

The only permission relating to attachments appears to be "Can Upload Attachments" Yes/No ?

Comment

• kjh411
              • May 2007
              • 3.7.x

Does anyone know if it possible to require uploaded attachments to be moderated for a specific usergroup, for a specific forum, as discussed above?

Thanks,
              Kevin

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Yes, as per post #5.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kjh411
                  • May 2007
                  • 3.7.x

Yes, as per post #5.
                  Steve, I would have thought it obvious from my responses that I cannot understand how your post #5 explains what I am trying to achieve.

I have now checked with other people and it seems I am not the only one who cannot see the solution in what you have suggested.

Why?
                  Because if I go into "Edit Forum Permissions For Usergroup:" there is only one setting under "Attachment Permissions" and that is "Can Upload Attachments - Yes or No".

Could you please explain explicitly how one forces attachments for a specific user group into the moderation queue (not posts, just attachments).

Thanks,
                  Kevin
                  Last edited by kjh411; Mon 9 Jun '08, 5:33pm. Reason: clarity

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

I'm confused. What part didn't you understand?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kjh411
                      • May 2007
                      • 3.7.x

I'm confused. What part didn't you understand?
                      I don't understand how I can set attachments for a specific usergroup to require moderation.

Following your directions, I go;
                      Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions > [Edit] Registered Users (for the appropriate forum)

Under Attachment Permissions I can only see one setting;
                      "Can Upload Attachments Yes/No"

But I don't want to prevent users from uploading attachments, I just want to force the attachments into the attachment moderation queue (not the post - just the attachment).

So I am looking for a setting such as "Follow Forum Moderation Rules" as appears in the "Post / Thread Permissions" section, but there is no such setting under "Attachment Permissions".

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

I'm sorry I was thinking of posts. Unfortunately there is no way to do this per forum by usergroup. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kjh411
                          • May 2007
                          • 3.7.x

Thanks. I feared you were going to say that in the end.

What is the likelihood of this permission control being added in a future version? (it seems like a logical progression, to me at least!)

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Please feel free to make a feature request here:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment