X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slibya
    • May 2008
    • 3.7.x

upgrading the arabic forum 3.6.8 to new vb3.7.0

I am going to upgrade from vb3.6.9 to VB3.7.0.

the problem I will face ( i guess) is that my whole forum is in arabic langauge. I mean the database all is in arabic language.. So what should i do or what steps do I have to follow to avoid any problems. because it happens before that when i try to move upgrade before from 3.6.8 to 3.6.9, My whole forum appears after upgrading in some strange characters.

I know all the upgrade process so if somebody give me the main steps to avoid language conflict type problems...

regards,

abdulnasir
  • Hayk
    • Sep 2007
    • 5.2.x

If your current database supports Arabic language, there will not be any problem, just set the appropriate charset in config.php (if you change it) and unpgrade
    vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
    vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

• slibya
      • May 2008
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Philosopher
      If your current database supports Arabic language, there will not be any problem, just set the appropriate charset in config.php (if you change it) and unpgrade

Thank you for your reply

Can you explain bit more from where I have to change in config.php for language settings..

one more thing . what is best.. overwrite the previous files of vb or delete the previous ones and upload as new in my server... ?

I also hav some few plugins install like vbshout, latest thread, and some templates settings.. for them what should I have to do..

Thanking you again

Comment

• Hayk
        • Sep 2007
        • 5.2.x

Open config.php, search for $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8'; string and delete comment slashes //, if you use utf8 charset (look at php my admin to see which charset is set for your database).

Overwrite all files, don't delete.

After upgrade you will see whether your plugins work in new vB or not and will see templates that are new and need to be changed.

Don't forget to backup your database before upgrade

Comment

• slibya
          • May 2008
          • 3.7.x

Before I made changes as per your instructions, I checked tha in my previous forum config.pgp the line is like this ..

// $config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8';

and in myphpadmin its like this ..

MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

it means i dont have to change anything in config.php as you told me to change if required for the language.. or should I.. because in admincp of my current forum the code for arabic language is windows-1256....

next i want the clean installation for my vb3.7.0, which means no plugins which i have or i tried before (there are many files i uploaded before in my forum for some plugins which i even dont remember where where i made the changes) for this i need the clean installation and later i will install the plugins only...

all these information i am gathering to make sure that i will not face any problem which will stop my forum for couple of days....

for database. I personally take backup of my database every day

thanking you for your support

Comment

• Hayk
            • Sep 2007
            • 5.2.x

Yes, you needn't change charset in config.php in that case.

If you want to do clean installation, it is already not upgrade but new installation. If this is what you want then delete all files, upload new vB files and then install new forum, install/install.php. After that you will need to restore your database cause new installation will actually erase your database.

Comment

• slibya
              • May 2008
              • 3.7.x

everything is clear upto the installation, the important thing..

who how can restore my database after new installation. I already took the backup of my SQL.

thank you for your quick replies

Comment

• Hayk
                • Sep 2007
                • 5.2.x

Who? If yes, you can do it yourself or ask anyone to do it for you

If how, you can look about it in vBulletin documentation

Comment

• slibya
                  • May 2008
                  • 3.7.x

who typed by mistake..

i will try and will come back to you if there is any problem..

thanks for all the support till now

Comment

• slibya
                    • May 2008
                    • 3.7.x

hi there,

I just want to know before doing any installation or upgrade that ..

Is it possible to try the installation first with the cop of my SQL database to test that it will work fine and then if its succesfull than to install on the original location but.... both installation will be in the same website with different folders...

Just wondering that can i use my vbulletin license number twice for that purpose or there is some blocking system to not use more than once....

waiting for quick reply..

Comment

• slibya
                      • May 2008
                      • 3.7.x

Vbulletin support team.... help here please

hi there,

I install the vb 3.7.0 but didn't succeeded. I got the same problem for arabic language that after upgrade all my forum language characters turns into "?".

I have been told that thre will be no problem but the problem appears. now please any body help me, vbulletin vbullteam help me on this issue

Comment