Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrEyes
    • Nov 2004

Search Errors

A few users have reported that when clicking on a username in postbit and selecting "find more posts by UserX" they get the following message:

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 30 seconds.
    However normal searching works fine

I have tried the normal things, i.e. disabling hooks (by adding "define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);" to config.php), cleared out cookies and temp internet files, also tried Mozilla and IE.
    Last edited by MrEyes; Wed 7 May '08, 2:34am.
    This is a signature, with a picture

sigpic

UK Motorbike Forum
  • Jose Amaral Rego
    • Feb 2005
    • 1.1.x

Admin CP > vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Message Searching Options > Minimum Time Between Searches
    The minimum time (in seconds) that must expire before the user can perform a new search.

Set this to 0 to allow users to search as frequently as they want.
    They fall under this settings.

Comment

• hydn
      • Sep 2005

Exact same problem here but it happens when users use search, todays posts, new post and ANYTHING search related. But users complain that this happens even when they first log in.

Even when I first login, I always check "Forums>Show my posts" I always get this. Then it brings me to the advanced search with my user name filled in.
      any ideas?

Comment

• hydn
        • Sep 2005

Follow up. The internet has changed quite a bit and vb has more security now than years ago. Thus, is it still a risk to flooding to set the search time to 0 (disabled) we have the image verification enabled.

Of course this does not apply to today's post, find post by users etc.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

hydn can you start your own thread and with relevant issues you have at hand. This was not a error that MrEyes users are seeing, it is a setting within the default vBulletin script.

Comment

• MrEyes
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego
            hydn can you start your own thread and with relevant issues you have at hand. This was not a error that MrEyes users are seeing, it is a setting within the default vBulletin script.
            Not quite

Since day 1 my forum has been configured for 30 seconds between searches and until recently this has been working fine, and for the reasons briefly mentioned above (i.e. search flooding) I would prefer to not disable/reduce this limit.

To give an example of what happens...

1. User logs on and goes to a random thread
            2. User clicks on the user name of a poster, this displays the drop down dialog, where they select "Find more posts by Userx"
            3. The following message is then displayed:

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 30 seconds.

If the user then hits the back button and trys again, they get the following message:

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in X seconds.
            Where X is a number between 1 & 30 (obviously depending on how long between the first and this subsequent search)

If the user then tries again a few times, they will eventually get the search results they are after, however I cannot seem to find any logical pattern as to whether the user see the search error or search results.

As suggested above I have disabled all plug-ins via ACP and by adding the no plugin line to the config.php and this has not made any difference.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but this has only started to happen since an upgrade from 3.6.8 PL2 to 3.7

EDIT : As a test I increase the search frequency from 30 to 35 seconds, the exact same problem was seen however the message obviously changes to:

This forum requires that you wait 35 seconds between searches. Please try again in 35 seconds.

sigpic

UK Motorbike Forum

Comment

• sunrunner_pei
              • Jan 2003
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MrEyes
              Not quite

Since day 1 my forum has been configured for 30 seconds between searches and until recently this has been working fine, and for the reasons briefly mentioned above (i.e. search flooding) I would prefer to not disable/reduce this limit.

To give an example of what happens...

1. User logs on and goes to a random thread
              2. User clicks on the user name of a poster, this displays the drop down dialog, where they select "Find more posts by Userx"
              3. The following message is then displayed:

If the user then hits the back button and trys again, they get the following message:

Where X is a number between 1 & 30 (obviously depending on how long between the first and this subsequent search)

If the user then tries again a few times, they will eventually get the search results they are after, however I cannot seem to find any logical pattern as to whether the user see the search error or search results.

As suggested above I have disabled all plug-ins via ACP and by adding the no plugin line to the config.php and this has not made any difference.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but this has only started to happen since an upgrade from 3.6.8 PL2 to 3.7

EDIT : As a test I increase the search frequency from 30 to 35 seconds, the exact same problem was seen however the message obviously changes to:
              I'm having the same issue with my own forum. Never had a problem with 3.6.8 PL2 or 3.6.9. Started happening after upgrading to 3.7.0. Doesn't happen to my admin accounts or moderators (as they're exempt from the wait time), but some users have been complaining of this issue, and I just replicated it with a test account in the 'Registered' group.

I suppose I'll have to submit a ticket for this one.

Comment

• the geek
                • Jun 2003
                • 1.1.x

I can confirm that this is indeed happening to my users as well (here). It doesnt happen to me or my moderators, but several users are complaining about this since my last upgrade (IIRC I was running 3.7RC1 and now running 3.7GOLD).

There must be some error updating the last search field when a user logs in.
                My Twitterings

Comment

• John Stone
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 3.7.x

This is happening on my forum (upgraded to 3.7.0 yesterday), too.

Any word on the cause?
                  John Stone
                  http://www.johnstonefitness.com
                  http://forums.johnstonefitness.com

Comment

• John Stone
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3.7.x

Are any of you guys using skins from eXtremepixels? I've been troubleshooting this pretty extensively and the problem only happens when the affected users are using styles from eXtremepixels. The other styles run clean for them.

It's so weird, though: only 3 members out of 21,000+ have reported a problem.
                    John Stone
                    http://www.johnstonefitness.com
                    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com

Comment

• the geek
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 1.1.x

Oddly enough I have been spending a lot of time on this issue as well and it only appears to happen if I am using a non-default skin (I use Element from vbStyles.com)

But how a skin could put an entry in the search table on login is beyond me.
                      My Twitterings

Comment

• MrEyes
                        • Nov 2004

I, as most admins, have custom styles however mine are all home created.

So maybe it is some sort of odd issue with non-default styles.

Lets wait to hear what the official word is

sigpic

UK Motorbike Forum

Comment

• Dennis B
                          • May 2002
                          • 4.1.x

Seeing the same problem here since the upgrade to 3.7.
                          No idea yet as to what's causing this.
                          I'm using fulltext search, BTW.
                          Dennis

Comment

• the geek
                            • Jun 2003
                            • 1.1.x

Dennis, are you using a custom style?
                            My Twitterings

Comment

• Dennis B
                              • May 2002
                              • 4.1.x

Hi Geek,

Yes. Seems like that's related to the problem somehow from the previous posts...
                              Thanks for any ideas.
                              Dennis

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...