X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Siegler
    • Feb 2006
    • 4.2.X

Questions vs Notices

In looking over the new "notices", it makes me wonder..

What purpose do announcements serve now? Notices are seriously more powerful with all the custom parameters you can set. Announcements don't seem to have any real purpose (to me) anymore.

I'm not claiming I'm 100% right here, just that I can't see a reason. Someone who thinks otherwise, please tell me. Tkx.
    Joe Siegler - Webmaster
    Black Sabbath Online
  • DoE
    • Sep 2007

IMO notices are group or conditional (the biggie reason) dependant, while announcements are for all.

Comment

• Joe Siegler
      • Feb 2006
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DoE
      IMO notices are group or conditional (the biggie reason) dependant, while announcements are for all.
      I realize that - but you can do notices for all, too - so why do regular announcements still exist? Couldn't the existing announcements feature just be beefed up with all the doodads that are in notices?

I'm not pissed, it just (to me) doesn't make any sense to have both around now.

About the only thing notices don't have that announcements do are start/stop times.
      Joe Siegler - Webmaster
      Black Sabbath Online

Comment

• DoE
        • Sep 2007

Good point.

ummm announcements are thread related, while notices are forum wide? Maybe one of the vB developers can give an example showing when to use announcements or to use a notice?

Comment

• Webmist
          • Jan 2006
          • 4.2.X

It would seem the logical thing to combine the function of these.

The notices are geared to users meeting a certain criteria while announcements are more for certain forums/threads.

If we got the option added to notices to select forums then the announcements could go away.
          "You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me."

Comment

• RvG
            • Jan 2007
            • 3.8.x

can we include the notices to "groups" as well aside from the "forums".

Comment