X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elyk
    • Sep 2003
    • 4.2.x

Allow members to hard delete messages.

Is there a way to allow members the ability to hard delete their own visitor messages on their page? Did I miss something in the settings?

Thanks
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

No sorry, there is no setting to allow that.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Elyk
      • Sep 2003
      • 4.2.x

We have moderators who try to hard delete a profile visitors message left in their profiles and the only option they have is soft delete. Are mods supposed to have hard delete abilities?
      As is now only admins can hard delete visitors messages that members have deleted.

is there a standard usergroup id set for the mods? On the site our usergroup id for moderators is 7, just wondering if that may be a problem.

Comment

• beishe8
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Elyk
        We have moderators who try to hard delete a profile visitors message left in their profiles and the only option they have is soft delete. Are mods supposed to have hard delete abilities?
        Optional.
        Can Physically Delete Posts Yes No

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Elyk
          • Sep 2003
          • 4.2.x

Thanks beishe8

Where exactly is that setting? I cant find it, have looked in usergroup manager > moderators

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

It is a moderator permissions, You need to edit their moderator permissions. The moderator usergroup does not actually grant any specific powers unless you have it set to be a super moderator group.

AdminCP > Forums & Moderators > Show All Moderators

Comment

• Elyk
              • Sep 2003
              • 4.2.x

Cool, thanks to both of you I found the setting!!.

Comment

• Tom_S
                • Mar 2006

Shouldn't this option be in there for the member to be able to clean up their own visitor messages? Right now I have them asking me and others to do it every few days. There is a mod that will clear them all every 30 days but they don't want that. They just want certain ones deleted and I would assume since it is their account they should have access for that at least. Or the 30 day drain plug sounds good too

Comment

• Serega_M
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Same stupid problem.

I am sorry to say, but this decision to leave only soft delete for the users to manage messages in their profile is kinda stupid. Cause nobody except them can see the deletion notices anyway! And why should THEY see it ??? I already have TONs of requests to clean the users profiles of these deleted messages and I do not need that! So - my suggestion is to make improvements of this system in the future versions so users can FULLY manage messages in their profiles, cause otherwise it makes no sense! Hope that you will realize it in the future, cause right now I am simply turning off this possibility for the users.
                  CULT Cinema - The first professional Russian resource about cult/gothic/horror/trash/exploitation cinema...

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

You could edit the templates and hide the notices from them.

Comment

• Serega_M
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Ok - can you tell me what to edit then and where? And anyway - do consider to add additional option regarding this matter
                      CULT Cinema - The first professional Russian resource about cult/gothic/horror/trash/exploitation cinema...

Comment

• Tom_S
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Zachery
                        You could edit the templates and hide the notices from them.
                        And leave the database cluttered with half deleted notices? I am not understanding.

Comment

• dkon26
                          • Jul 2007
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Serega_M
                          I am sorry to say, but this decision to leave only soft delete for the users to manage messages in their profile is kinda stupid. Cause nobody except them can see the deletion notices anyway! And why should THEY see it ??? I already have TONs of requests to clean the users profiles of these deleted messages and I do not need that! So - my suggestion is to make improvements of this system in the future versions so users can FULLY manage messages in their profiles, cause otherwise it makes no sense! Hope that you will realize it in the future, cause right now I am simply turning off this possibility for the users.
                          I agree. Hard delete would be ideal. Thats why I turned off the VM's on my profile here b/c it looks bad when it shows the names of the people whos messages you deleted.

Comment

• Tom_S
                            • Mar 2006

I respectfully agree too.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Only members who can moderate the messages, and the own user can see the deleted items.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...