X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveC
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.0.10+

database error after server migration

I am running VB 3.68. Just had to migrate to a different server with my host in order to get more space. They did the migration and everything seemed to be ok, but now I am getting the database error message. Any idea on where I can begin to troubleshoot this? My host is Rochen.
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

What does the error say?
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• SteveC
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.0.10+

here is what I'm seeing in my error log

Database error in vBulletin 3.7.2:
      Invalid SQL:
      SELECT *
      FROM session
      WHERE sessionhash = '149e1873cc253c7920e032399f2989b4' AND lastactivity > 1342307917
      AND idhash = 'facf503142e041b5381ceac26f482eaa';
      MySQL Error : Table 'writerac_users.session' doesn't exist
      Error Number : 1146
      Request Date : Saturday, July 14th 2012 @ 06:48:37 PM
      Error Date : Saturday, July 14th 2012 @ 06:48:37 PM
      Script : http://writeractionbbs.com/bbs/searc...getnewReferrer :
      IP Address : 98.154.250.45
      Username :
      Classname : vB_Database
      MySQL Version :

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Are you certain that the entire db was transferred over correctly?
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• SteveC
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.0.10+

Originally posted by Ace
          Are you certain that the entire db was transferred over correctly?
          Thank you, Ace - that's what I'm trying to determine now with Rochen. When I go in through cpanel and look at the database and an alphabetical listing of the tables, the last table I see is "postindex." Surely there are tables beginning with letters after "P." Isn't there a "users" table? Do I ask Rochen to re-do the migration of the database? They said tables wouldn't be moved if they were corrupted but my site was working fine. I'm wondering if something froze on their end before the entire table was copied over.

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

I would ask them to attempt to import it again, there are a few tables past postindex.

You can use the mysql-schema.php file inside the install folder to see what is supposed to be there.

Comment

• SteveC
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.0.10+

thank you very much for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I checked the schema file and it seems like there are dozens of missing tables, since there is nothing after postindex. The tech support person at Rochen is insisting that my .sessions table must have been corrupt and because of that the database didn't export properly. He's saying I need to run repair and do the export and import myself or they will charge me for another migration. Does that seem right to you? My site was working fine before they did the migration.
              Last edited by SteveC; Sat 14 Jul '12, 5:05pm.

Comment

• Dustin L.
                • Mar 2011
                • 4.2.X

Well you can try running the following query on the database that you're trying to import (if you do it on the current one, it'll say that the table doesn't exist.):

Code:
                REPAIR TABLE session;
                And then try the import again. Imports and exports of databases are very simple, but you should still consider another webhost. If a webhost screws something up, they should fix it in my opinion, or at least try to fix it or investigate the issue.

Dustin
                http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• Ace
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by SteveC
                  .sessions table must have been corrupt and because of that the database didn't export properly. He's saying I need to run repair and do the export and import myself or they will charge me for another migration. Does that seem right to you? My site was working fine before they did the migration.
                  Doesn't sound overly helpful of them, no.

Do you still have access to the old server's database? SSH or phpmyadmin?

Same question for the new one, do you have the option of SSH or will you need to use phpmyadmin or mysqldump or similar?

Comment

• SteveC
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 3.0.10+

Originally posted by Ace
                    Doesn't sound overly helpful of them, no.

Do you still have access to the old server's database? SSH or phpmyadmin?

Same question for the new one, do you have the option of SSH or will you need to use phpmyadmin or mysqldump or similar?
                    I have access to the old one and new one via phpadmin. I am not happy about having to do this myself but I did a repair on the database and exported it and am now importing to the new server. Waiting for the import to finish to see if it works. The other thing that seems weird to me is that the size of the database on the old server was 1.3 gigs and the imported one on the new server was a little over 1 gig. The tech support guy is insisting that this doesn't mean anything and that sizes are rarely the same after export/import. He is saying my database was probably corrupted for a long time and I am "lucky" to have discovered it through this process.

Comment

• Dustin L.
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by SteveC
                      I have access to the old one and new one via phpadmin. I am not happy about having to do this myself but I did a repair on the database and exported it and am now importing to the new server. Waiting for the import to finish to see if it works. The other thing that seems weird to me is that the size of the database on the old server was 1.3 gigs and the imported one on the new server was a little over 1 gig. The tech support guy is insisting that this doesn't mean anything and that sizes are rarely the same after export/import. He is saying my database was probably corrupted for a long time and I am "lucky" to have discovered it through this process.
                      He sounds kind of rude. He's "lucky" to have you as a customer.

Anyway, let us know if it works!

Dustin
                      http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                      http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• SteveC
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.0.10+

another support guy offered to do the export/import and my site is now working. Don't know exactly what the problem was but I am glad to have it resolved.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...