X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bat21
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.2.X

Thumbnail creation failed errors

I run two vBulletin sites 3.6.8 and 3.7.4 on one server but two separate domains.

All has been fine for many years but today the below error is coming up when members try to upload jpg files:-

Thumbnail creation failed due to your image library not having support for this image type.

All other file types upload as normal.

I have contacted the guys who host my dedicated server and they say it has not been touched today.

Any ideas what could have caused this?
  • Andy
    • Jan 2002
    • 4.1.x

What is this setting?

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Image Settings -> Image Processing Library

Comment

• Bat21
      • Jan 2003
      • 4.2.X

It's GD Andy, it always has been that.

Comment

• Amaury
        • Mar 2012
        • 4.2.X

If you want to keep running vBulletin 3, I suggest upgrading both forums to vBulletin 3.8.7 Patch Level 4, as the others have known security issues.
        Former vBulletin user

Comment

• Bat21
          • Jan 2003
          • 4.2.X

Yes that is high on my list of priorities.

After spending the last 4 hours trying to sort this out, it appears that it is my PC that is generating the error.

I noticed others were still able to upload jpg to the sites, so I tried another PC here..... and it works fine

Thanks for the replies.

I think I need a large drink now.

Comment

• Andy
            • Jan 2002
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Bat21
            It's GD Andy, it always has been that.
            I suspect something with the GD software on the server is the problem.

By the way ImageMagick is much better, have you tried selecting that to see if that works?

Comment

• Bat21
              • Jan 2003
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Andy
              I suspect something with the GD software on the server is the problem.

By the way ImageMagick is much better, have you tried selecting that to see if that works?
              I'm not sure what the path is to the ImageMagick files are though Andy.

If the GD software is a problem, how come it works on other PC's? (see my above post)

Comment

• Dustin L.
                • Mar 2011
                • 4.2.X

Hi Bat,
                In order to use ImageMagick, you'll need to confirm it's installed on your server.

Regards,

Micro
                http://quikmsg.net/strtoupper/ - Convert lowercase text and code to all uppercase!
                http://quikmsg.net/strtolower/ - Convert uppercase text and code to all lowercase!

Comment

• Andy
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 4.1.x

If the GD software is a problem, how come it works on other PC's? (see my above post)
                  The error message you posted in post #1 comes from the server. I suspect what ever was wrong is now fixed. Let us know if it happens again.

Comment

• Bat21
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Microsuck
                    Hi Bat,
                    In order to use ImageMagick, you'll need to confirm it's installed on your server.

Regards,

Micro
                    Micro, is there a simple way I can confirm this via CPanel?

Originally posted by Andy
                    The error message you posted in post #1 comes from the server. I suspect what ever was wrong is now fixed. Let us know if it happens again.
                    That's exactly what I though Andy. But last night after extensive checking of settings etc I was drawing a blank every time. I mentioned to one of my site members about the problem and he replied saying he had just uploaded a jpg with no problems.

Once he told me this I tried on a different PC here and he was right, it worked fine. So I tried once again on my PC following a reboot and it was still coming up with the error.

Interestingly, I have just tried again from my PC and it now works...... as Alice once said "curiouser and curiouser"

Comment

• Andy
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 4.1.x

Interestingly, I have just tried again from my PC and it now works...... as Alice once said "curiouser and curiouser"
                      Sometimes things are very difficult to troubleshoot. Remember to always try several PC's and browsers when testing bugs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...