X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OptimusPrime
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.6.x

Deleting Attachments

I was recently informed that we were getting close to our disk quota from the hosting company so we started deleting old threads. I noticed when I FTP to the site that there is a folder called vbattachments. Within this folder is a bunch of folders that go from 0 to 9. Each one contains files with a .attach extension. I assume these are files users attached to post but I wanted to be sure before I just went wild deleting them all. It looks like we could get back a lot of disk space by deleting these. So my question is are these safe to delete?
  • Fordies
    • May 2011
    • 4.1.x

try moving them to the database from inside admincp.. attachment storage type

Comment

• monet
      • Oct 2010
      • 4.0.x

I was trying to figure out how to Delete Attachments as well and came upon this thread. I'm running 4.1.5 so maybe it may not apply for other VB version, but I found a simpler way to delete attachments after uploading it. Apparently it is not as easy as clicking the box on the attachment and "X"ing it out because there's no "X". Weird.

Admin CP > Attachments > Attachment Statistics > (from there you can locate who is attaching the largest/most files...could be yourself) > delete

Comment

• monet
        • Oct 2010
        • 4.0.x

Hmm..apparently, it wasn't as easy as I thought. I did some investigating and seem to get it this time. You can delete the attachment files directly from your database (no moving it around to File System or whatever).

You need to access your database by going to your hosting server, log into your phpMyAdmin, and find the attachments you want to delete. I found them under the category: attachmentcategoryuser. Being the admin, my user id is 1 so I found all the uploaded attachments I did and just deleted them. This seems so much easier once you realize how it's done. I don't know what the "moving to file system" deal is about, but this seems pretty straight forward to me. By the way, I'm using HostGator hosting.

Good luck!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...