upgrading to 4.1

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You will not be able to do this without SSH access.

Leave a comment:

• pumarjr
    replied
    ok, i have loaded the old forum software onto the new server, what do I need to do exactly in order to import the data from the old server and onto the new one? With the old server, all we have is ftp access, I tried installing mysql dump, but it had an error message that said that the server didn't accept those types of connections. So I need the database backup from the sql data base, do I also need the backup file from the Vbulletin forum as well? please help to get this nightmare completed, it sucks not having any access into the old server, the guy is being very weird on letting us in. All I want to do is take all the boards data and load onto the new server. Can you please outline in english exactly what I need from him so that maybe he can get the files for me?

Leave a comment:

• pumarjr
    replied
    this is going to be a nightmare, I only have ftp access to the old server, the guys that runs it, will not let us have anything else on it, what do I do?

Leave a comment:

• DirtyHarry
    replied
    A small tip - after you have done your backup, test that it is properly working by trying to restore it in a temporary database. Believe me, we had to take care of many cases of people with damaged database backups.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You have to transfer the database as well. Instructions for moving servers are in the online manual here:

Note: The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeouts errors and an incomplete backup file. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:

Restore:

P.S. If you do not have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:

Bigdump (restore only):

Leave a comment:

• pumarjr
    replied
    awesome, ok, I got it. upgrade the existing software at its present location. After the update, I can transfer the files to the new server and load the saved files. ok, now when we do this, there is over 5 years of topics, posts, pm's users and stuff, will all of that information transfer?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    That is no longer needed for 4.1.1.

Leave a comment:

• pumarjr
    replied
    The reason why is because in the link you provided it said that I should at least upgrade to 3.8 before upgrading to 4.1.1.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Or upgrade to 4.1.1, then move it over to the new server.

Leave a comment:

• pumarjr
    replied
    ok ,so first i'll need to run the update on the old server to get the forum up to 3.8.6, then I can transfer it to the new server?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    There is no supported way to do that. You need to upgrade normally. Please follow the upgrade documentation here:

Leave a comment:

• pumarjr
    started a topic upgrading to 4.1

upgrading to 4.1

hello, our board is currently running 3.6.1, i've installed on a new server 4.1.1, how do I do a complete backup of all users, passwords, topics, threads, and basically everything on the board? also, where in 4.1 do I find the back up / restore feature?