X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ezurick
    • May 2007
    • 3.6.x

Help with User Banning Options

Hello, I am still in v3.6.8PLII and my forum is getting clobbered by overseas spammers. This is daily! I goto the User Banning Options and enter their ip address like this...

212.117*

I was told that this should ban all users that have a ip of 212.117 But it is not working. These spammers are STILL logging on and registering with the ip that is in the banning options. Please help!
  • terryfavors
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

I have used the 212* and they went away. I'm using version 3.8.5!

Comment

• ezurick
      • May 2007
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by terryfavors
      I have used the 212* and they went away. I'm using version 3.8.5!
      Ummm... this is a 3.6.x support forum.

And it isn't working on my board. Does anyone know how I fix this? I need these scum bags banned by their six digit ip 212.117* But they are STILL logging on and registering. I do use commas after each ip I enter intot he Banning Options. Please help!

Comment

• ezurick
        • May 2007
        • 3.6.x

*bump*

Anyone able to help me with this issue? I am using v3.6.8PLII and the banning option is not working. I enter a six digit part of the ip followed by a asterick (ie. 212.179*) and those users are STILL logging on and registering... No help?

Comment

• Max Power
          • Oct 2009

Help with Banning users

As i'm sure is the case with most people running forums, I have tons of problems with spammers, like. My weapon of choice is stopforumspam.com. I copy the table of known spammers they have on their front page into an excel spreadsheet (it takes a while to pop up sometimes because of all the formatting).

Once the table appears, I get rid of the formatting, copy the ip addresses and email addresses into a new tab, and put these in the 'banned ip addresses' and 'banned email addresses' sections of the Admin module (vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > User Banning Options. Make sure the banning options are enabled).

This takes about 5 minutes and has saved a good half hour each day in deleting spammers who are trying to register. It's also a good place to check user registrations for spammers.

I think there's a mod that does all this automatically, but it only takes a few minutes each day, so I haven't bothered.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm using 3.8....not sure if 3.6 has the option....
          Last edited by Max Power; Tue 6 Apr '10, 9:22am. Reason: possible version conflict...

Comment

• tjjeepjeep
            • Jan 2009
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ezurick
            *bump*

Anyone able to help me with this issue? I am using v3.6.8PLII and the banning option is not working. I enter a six digit part of the ip followed by a asterick (ie. 212.179*) and those users are STILL logging on and registering... No help?
            I can't help with a solution, but I can let you know that this is happening to me as well. I'm running v3.6.4. Sure wish it would work tho.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...