Anyway to create a seperate "shadow" forum to experiment with design changes etc ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D. Thomas
    • Jan 2006

Anyway to create a seperate "shadow" forum to experiment with design changes etc ?

In other words, I have an ad agency wanting to experiment with various design changes for ad placement and such, that they need to do off line but without closing the forum.

They want to download the entire database to their server for this purpose but just wondering if there is a simplier (and safer) alternative ?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Make a backup of your database, then restore it to a new db, not the live one. Upload the vB files to a 'testvb' directory, password protect that directory and edit the config.php file to point to the new db.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• D. Thomas
      • Jan 2006

Thanks Steve.

Now they want to possibly put the "shadow" forum copy on a seperate server and also want to do they alterations on the current version of VB. Any thoughts in that regard ?

Personally I would like to avoid the hassel of upgrading my forum to latest version at this time... so to do what they want to do, should they buy their own copy of the latest VB and somehow upload my forum to that somehow ?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

What 'alterations'?

I suggest they purchase their own license. Once you allow them to use yours you have lost all control over it if they want to use your files illegally.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• D. Thomas
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          What 'alterations'?

I suggest they purchase their own license. Once you allow them to use yours you have lost all control over it if they want to use your files illegally.
          I guess "alterations" was the wrong word.. "changes" in the forum layout to accept banner advertising in places other than header and footer...ads down the right side of the page for example.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

You can use the Styles 'Download/Upload' function to do this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...