X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sidewindersnake
    • Sep 2006

Attachment Size Help Please

ok,need some help fixing this problem.
    I have went into the admin and set my .zip attachment size to 9999999999999999 and no matter how high I try to go I still only get 4mb
    on the outcome of changing this.
    I want to upload a 8mb file and keep erroring out.

I am not a genius but would like to know what I can change to increase this limit in the admin?
    I cannot find a .php file to alter to let this increase and vb wont go no higher than 4mb without a change somewhere in a script.

Please Help
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

In addition to the vB settings, the allowed size of the attachments depends on the PHP and MySQL configuration. You may need to check and change the upload size for both PHP and for MySQL. Note, you'll need to have root access to the server to do this (or have your host do it.) Make these changes to php.ini:

upload_max_filesize = xM

..and my.cnf (or my.ini for Windows systems)

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Change it to the size ('x') you want in Megabytes. Restart the webserver and MySQL after making these changes.

Note: Do NOT use MB, just M for the megabytes setting.

You may also need to increase the memory_limit, max_execution_time and max_input_time variables in php.ini.

Also you might want to take a look at this for other settings that affect file uploads:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sidewindersnake
      • Sep 2006

ok I am on shared host so I wrote them and asked them to increase it for me.
      Is there anything I can do myself as I have ftp access to change the .php files but basically thats about it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

You are limited by the server settings. There really isn't much you can do to bypass those settings, and it you try your host could suspend you.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Sidewindersnake
          • Sep 2006

my master and local are at 20M

My admin cp wont let me set the upload limit past 4mb on upload.
          host said it is at a 20mb limit.
          Php shows it as this.
          What can I change so the upload box say's 6-8 mb instead of 4mb
          Like I said I have set the attachments to 9999999999 and it comes up 4mb

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Post #4 is still applicable. There is nothing you can do without your host's cooperation.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Sidewindersnake
              • Sep 2006

Ok,the host said the limit was set at 20mb and I found how to set the upload up over 4mb.
              But now my problem is vb is timing out before the file completely uploads.(goes to page not found or database error)
              Is there anything I can do to up the time it takes to upload a file?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

It's the server timing out, not vB. This is still a server issue. Check post #2 again. There are several time related settings.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Sidewindersnake
                  • Sep 2006

Thanks Steve,I have relayed the info to the host.

Comment

• Sidewindersnake
                    • Sep 2006

Ok they have replied with this:

Furthermore, I have increased the variable as request from the php.ini as detail below.

memory_limit = 32M
                    max_execution_time = 600
                    max_input_time = 120

It is still timming out with the error,what can I ask them to set this at?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Have them keep increasing all the values until you no longer have this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...