X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slinky
    • Mar 2001
    • 1.1.x

Remove Title from RSS Feed

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to remove the title from being called and used in the RSS feed. I don't want to do this permanently so that syndicators won't get the title of my forums. I want to use it as a "last x posts" to put on various parts of the site but don't need the title of the forums to pop up, which will be overly long. Is there an easy way to exclude pulling the title in the request for the feed from vb?
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

What is the code you are using to put the "last x posts" on your site? Just don't call the forum title in the code.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• slinky
      • Mar 2001
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Lynne
      What is the code you are using to put the "last x posts" on your site? Just don't call the forum title in the code.
      When you pull an RSS feed from your site, by default it generates the title of the feed as part of the feed URL. That URL is below. I'm hoping there is a parameter that says "give me the feed but not the title."

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Yes, it gives it to you, but that doesn't mean you have to use it.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• slinky
          • Mar 2001
          • 1.1.x

Yes, it gives it to you, but that doesn't mean you have to use it.
          I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How does one remove the title? The RSS feed sends something as follows:

VBulletin RSS Feed Title

- Post number 1
          - Post number 2
          - Post number 3
          - Post number 4
          - Post number 5

I want to get rid of the Vbulletin RSS Feed Title which VB creates automatically. I am wondering if there is a parameter when calling external.php to add to that URL which doesn't include the RSS Feed Title.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

I guess I'm not understanding something.... are *you* using your own feed to do something with it? Are you turning on the feed and then reading it into another page and you don't want the title? What script/code are you using to read it into a page?

Or, are you talking about *others* using your feed and you don't want them to get the title? If so, if you do something like add "&title=no" (that is not a real variable), then all they'd have to do is remove the "&title=no".

Comment

• slinky
              • Mar 2001
              • 1.1.x

I guess I'm not understanding something.... are *you* using your own feed to do something with it? Are you turning on the feed and then reading it into another page and you don't want the title? What script/code are you using to read it into a page?
              vBulletin puts out an RSS feed. I'm taking that rss feed and putting it onto my home page. There isn't really any "script" that you need to use. It could be on the page of a script or just a regular .php page that will pull the feed and parse the information like using magpie, etc.

Or, are you talking about *others* using your feed and you don't want them to get the title? If so, if you do something like add "&title=no" (that is not a real variable), then all they'd have to do is remove the "&title=no".
              I'm not sure why it makes a difference although you've got it here. Anyone, whether it is myself or an outside user, who wants to take the rss feed, currently gets it with the title. Yes, we want the title to be removed exactly as you suggest.

mysite.com/forums/external.php?feedoptions=1&title=0&numberposts=5

Hypotehtically that will not show the title and pull in 5 posts. There are options in VB that I've seen in the manual but none that strip the title. That one would seem pretty standard and thought it could (or should) be done. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Many users pull their own rss feed into their own pages by using one of the methods in the Quick Tips and Customization forum. It's just javascript which pulls in the feed and spits out the threads. I thought you were talking about using a method like that in which case you just need to change the javascript, not the external.php file. There is no way to add something like "title=0" to the end of the external.php file feed to have it not share the forum title. If you want users to pull the feed and not get the forum title, then your would have to modify external.php to not make the forum title available. The forum title looks to be defined with the board name around lines 450 or so. I think you can just modify this line to remove the forum title in red:

Code:
                    else
                    { // show board title plus selection
                        $rsstitle = $vbulletin->options['bbtitle'][COLOR=Red] . " - $title"[/COLOR];
                    }

Comment

• slinky
                  • Mar 2001
                  • 1.1.x

Thanks for your help - I changed the item in the red and then afterwards commented out those lines but unfortunately none of it removed the title of the board and not quite sure why. Logically this should make sense.

Regarding the javascript, I prefer to stay away from it only and when necessary. The more you've got the more potential problems to face. At this point, though, it might be necessary but not sure how to remove the title from that one either.

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

You might want to post for help on this over on vb.org. That is the site for vbulletin modifications and so the users there are more familiar with changing code.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...