• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kensino
    • Sep 2007
    • 3.8.x

Installing

OK,

Now I want to install my vB on my home computer and not on the internet. Normally I just upload the folder to the webhost and type in the URL, but what do I need to do to get it working on my computer. What do I need to download?

Should I install it on a Linux or Windows computer? I am using Vista right now. But I have another computer I can install Linux on but I don't know where to get Linux or how to install it. I've never used it before.

Where do I get the newest version of Linux? Is it really free?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You could do that, but that means you will have to install the following server applications on your PC:

- A Web Server
    - PHP
    - MySQL

Here is one option to do that:

Note: We do not provide support for setting up servers. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you have a host or server that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kensino
      • Sep 2007
      • 3.8.x

I don't want a server. I'm taking some computer programming classes and I want to use the forum as my notebook. So I don't have to use paper. I can put all my code examples and notes in vB and then I can search them easily. I'm not making a server for other people to use. I just want to know how to install on my computer.

I'm using Vista

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

If you want to install vB on your computer, you need to turn it into a web server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kensino
          • Sep 2007
          • 3.8.x

OK, then what do I download? There are too many links.

I will put it on my XP computer instead.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

As per my post: http://www.en.wampserver.com/

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Kensino
              • Sep 2007
              • 3.8.x

I dont know what that is but I cant read that language. I am english speaking.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

They seem to have messed up that link. Use this: http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Note: Trying to install a web server, PHP and MySQL separately will be even more complicated.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Kensino
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 3.8.x

OK I got that installed but now I cant use vb. I extracted project tools and blog just fine but when I try to extract vb it fails to extract the files. I deleted it and downloaded it again just now and tried to extract it again and it still fails to extract the files.

I just says:

"Windows Explorer is taking too long to finish this process and has stopped responding."

When I try to extract vb is says 10 minuets remaining.

Is there something wrong with the download for my version?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

It's either a bad download or there is a problem with your zip extractor.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Kensino
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 3.8.x

I just downloaded it again and it still doing it. How come I get 3 corrupt copies right in a row.

I just downloaded it and clicked on it and windows explorer crashes. I downloaded the blog again and that one extract just fine. How can I get a unzipped copy?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

There is no unzipped copy available. The only choices are in the Members Area download section.

This is a problem caused by some firewall software and download managers. Temporarily disable any such software prior to accessing the Members Area. Then try the download again.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Kensino
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 3.8.x

I shut off windows firewall didn't work. everytime it crashes at 3 min 45 sec.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

I don't know what else to tell you. Clearly something is wrong on your end. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Kensino
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 3.8.x

I'm going down stairs to try it on my other computer, and if it still doesnt work then I know something is fishy.

BRB

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...